Monday, September 09, 2024

Just fumes


"I’m just running on fumes these days.”  The expression comes from when the car’s gas tank is nearly empty and the engine continues to run on the vapors that are left.  I cannot recall when I was that close to being out of gas.  My concern kicks in when the indicator shows me that I have less than a quarter of a tank left and I ‘fill up.’  But, I readily admit to seasons in my life when I have been spent, exhausted, discouraged, and felt like I was running on fumes. When there is no energy, motivation, or desire to start a new day – you’re running on fumes, my friend.

Why do we understand the need to refuel our vehicles but so often fail to understand the need to renew our souls?  Why do we understand that a nearly empty gas tank is demanding our attention but do not grasp that an empty soul, a starving spirit, is an even greater issue that requires some important choices?  When we are ‘running on fumes’  we are at much greater risk of making really stupid decisions, tempted by quick fixes that only complicate life.

Sometimes all we need is a day to recollect ourselves or a good, solid night’s rest. Sometimes we need a longer break, a friend who holds us up, words of encouragement that go beyond cliché. 

Good habits are important to build resilience in us.  Just as a well-maintained vehicle will run longer and more efficiently, we do better physically, emotionally, and spiritually IF we do the important work of care before urgent moments come along with exhaustion.
Regular sleep, good eating habits, getting exercise and fresh air – yes, these are basic.
Forgiving others, learning to be generous, refusing to carry around resentments – are also basic.
Time for prayerful reflection, corporate worship, and quiet meditation are more of those basics.

Can we always manage that kind of living?  No, we cannot. Emergencies come. Illness or death brings grief into life. Our work requires a sustained effort for a season that drains our resources. Disappointment comes our way when our expectations and hopes crash on the rocks of reality.  But, a person who has chosen to live with habits of health – emotional, spiritual, and physical – will generally regain hope and momentum more quickly, meeting hardships with resilience.

Jesus invites us to share life with Him.  We need not manage our complex world all by ourselves.  Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, NLT)   Interestingly, He does not invite us to a perpetual vacation.  That yoke of which He speaks is about doing work, being productive. However, His yoke will not chafe or wound. It makes the burdens bearable!

We must never forget that even Jesus, the perfect God-Man, knew the temptation of the urgent which would overwhelm the truly important. What did He do? He chose to retreat, to pray, to be with His Father.  Can we do anything less?  God has prepared renewal and refreshment for us. The words that the Lord spoke to Isaiah are not just poetry. "For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams." (Isaiah 44:3-4, NIV) 

Here is an invitation - “Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare." (Isaiah 55:1-2, NIV)

With such regret, I remember those seasons when I failed to find His renewal and thus did not live in the flow of the Spirit. In my frustration and emptiness, I was not the source of ‘living water’ that He desired me to be. Whenever we take life into our own hands, when we do not balance work and worship, when we let ourselves be tricked into thinking “I have to do something, anything, right now, or all is lost,” we will become empty and desperate.  The songs around us will go unheard; the beauty of His blessings unseen.

With Israel’s ancient pilgrims, let’s pray: "I look up to the mountains— does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth!" (Psalm 121:1-2, NLT)

Are you running on empty? Do what seems impossible- Stop! Wait! Look up!

Pray, perhaps simple sentence prayers, “Lord, show me the way.” “Jesus, be my peace.” “Father, give me vision.”

Worship.  Find a place where you can be reminded that that the God of Creation knows your name, your greatest need.

Sabbath. God wove a principle of rest into His plan.  In Genesis, we are told that “He rested on the 7th day.”  He concluded that His work was complete. We, too, need to take time, not just to play, but to pause the ordinary activities in order to give ourselves to those spiritual things that complete us.

 Running on empty? Lost sight of the goodness of life?  Here is a word from the Word.

"Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." (Isaiah 41:10, NLT) 

There is no need to run on empty because God promises Christians the fullness of the Spirit.  "So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do. Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts." (Ephesians 5:15-19, NLT)  In that fullness, desperation will be replaced with "life… more abundantly." (John 10:10, KJV)

_________

 

(Video of this blog at this link)

 

Holy Spirit

 There's nothing worth more
that will ever come close
No thing can compare
You're our living hope
Your Presence

 I've tasted and seen
of the sweetest of loves
Where my heart becomes free
and my shame is undone
In Your Presence Lord

Holy Spirit You are welcome here
Come flood this place and fill the atmosphere
Your glory God is what our hearts long for
To be overcome by Your Presence Lord

Your Presence Lord
Your Presence
Oh God how we love Your Presence Lord

Let us become more aware of Your Presence
Let us experience the glory of Your goodness (Lord)
 

Bryan Torwalt | Katie Torwalt © 2011 Capitol CMG Genesis (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

Jesus Culture Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: