Friday, September 13, 2024

Joy where you are


“How’s life?” a casual friend asked me, knowing I was semi-retired recently.  I told him that I slept better than I had in years, that I awakened with anticipation of each new day, and that my life was rich in every way.  His response made me smile – “You mean it?”   I assured him that I did, that the right decision was to step away from full-time pastoral ministry and give myself to volunteer service. 

Is life all that I wish it might be? Of course not, it’s not heaven yet. Are there regrets and disappointments? Yes, again. When I think back about my life, I know for certain that there are many things I might have done differently.  But, I am a contented man who finds joy in life, now, where I am, just about every day!

You might well respond to me and say, “Well, if I could retire I’d be happy too.”   Maybe, maybe not- really!  Plenty of people retire and find themselves bored or unhappy. Many relocate to a new city, abandon a marriage, change their job, buy some new thing … and remain miserable and discontent. Why?  Contentment grows from the inside out, not the outside in.   

In memorable words recorded in his letter to the Christians in Philippi (and us!)  Paul says - “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." (Philippians 4:11-12, NIV) Note that phrase ‘I have learned.’  

Through practice and experience he had discovered that if he hoped to know the joy that Jesus promises to us all, he would have to stop kicking, screaming, and complaining about life and choose to trust God instead.  If you know Paul’s story you know his contentment was not the result of a lottery win or an easy life. He gave himself to Christ and the work of taking the Gospel to an empire that was hostile to his faith. He was tossed out of city after city, often arrested, beaten, and jailed. He had to deal with jealous men who made false accusations. Beside that, he constantly lived with the danger and difficulties of travel at that time. Yet he could sincerely claim to be content and to know joy.

We can know that kind of joy too.  The Proverb teaches us the starting point:  "The fear of the LORD leads to life: then one rests content, untouched by trouble." (Proverbs 19:23, NIV)  Let’s not misunderstand what the ‘fear of the Lord’ really is.  It is not living in terror of His majesty, worried that He is about to drop the weight of His judgment on us.  That is not the heart of our Father!  Rather, we are taught to grow a deep, strong faith that leads us to awe and reverence, willing to trust Him completely.  When we choose a child-like faith, leaning into His love, expecting Him to care for us – now and into eternity – we ‘rest content.’  We say ‘my life is in His hands’ and it’s not just a motto or slogan; it is the truth that gives us a contented heart.

The disciples of Jesus illustrate the principle. One night they found themselves caught up in a storm while crossing the Sea of Galilee. Focused on the tempest, they screamed at Jesus – “Don’t you care?”  He awakened, quieted the storm, and left them speechless, amazed that ‘even the winds and waves obey Him.’  What are focusing on today, my friend?  Are you looking only at the storms, the uncertainties of life *(and there are plenty of those, aren’t there?)  Or, are you leaning on the promises of a mighty God, trusting in the salvation provided by Jesus’ grace gift, and drinking deeply of the Spirit?  The latter choice will lead to contentment, which is not be confused with apathy. 

Contented Christians still cry.  They are not stoics denying their pain. 
Contented Christians still work for change.  They see a world in need and give themselves to make it better. 

All the while, they are secure in their faith in God Who is greater than anything or anyone they may encounter in this world.

Want to know the best life that can be found?  Grow in faith by focusing on the Word of God, by giving yourself to daily prayer and meditation, and by becoming more aware of your weakness, matched by His majesty.  You cannot will yourself into contentment unless you are willing to adopt a Zen-life detachment from life, which is not the plan of God for us.  He desires that we live with engagement with the world around us, loving others, sharing their joys and sorrows, and being available to the Spirit to serve.  And, He also promises that we can avoid miserable discontent and enter into joyful contentment.  Will we?

Here is the word from the Word to take with you today.  Think about it, pray about it, and let peace take root.  "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?” (Hebrews 13:5-6, NIV)

_________

(Video of this blog at this link)

In The Presence Of Jehovah

In and out of situations
That tug-a-war at me
All day long I struggle
For answers that I need
Then I come into Your presence
All my questions become clear
And for a sacred moment
No doubt can interfere

In the presence of Jehovah
God Almighty Prince of Peace
Troubles vanish hearts are mended
In the presence of the King

Through His love the Lord provided
A place for us to rest
A place to find the answers
In hours of distress
There is never any reason
To give up in despair
Just slip away and breathe His name
He will come and meet you there

 

Becky Davis, Geron Davis 1983, 1985 Meadowgreen Music Company; Songchannel Music

CCLI License #810055

No comments: