Thursday, February 04, 2010

Recovering Peace

One of the evidences of the Spirit’s life at work in us that is frequently forgotten is the third one: peace! Remember the list? “Love, joy, peace, patience?” (Galatians 5:22) Disciples can enjoy peace in this life. One of the remarks that Bev and I hear over and over from people who spend time in our home is that it is a peaceful place. When our children invited their friends to our home, even those teens would often say, ”We like being at your house. It’s a peaceful place.” We knew that quality did not come from us. What they sensed was the peace of God, the Presence of the Holy Spirit, Who was intentionally invited to fill our lives.

Are you living in God’s promised peace?
Before you answer, let’s explore what the Bible says it is. The Hebrew word translated as “peace” is “shalom.” Shalom describes much more than simply the absence of conflict! It is a word that speaks of being whole, complete, prosperous, as well as tranquil. Shalom is more than a momentary rest. It is a state of being at rest in God.

The Word’s wisdom points us towards recovering peace with this advice: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7, NIV) As we see in that passage, enjoying the blessing of God’s holy peace does require that we make some important lifestyles choices. Yes, peace is a gift of God, but we cannot receive it unless we align ourselves to God’s will.

If we want to live peacefully, we must forgive! Bitterness against another, a refusal to release a grudge or an insistence on ‘justice,’ will rob the peace of God from our lives, making us miserable. We must trust. Jesus encourages us to ‘become like a little child.’ No, he did not mean childishly irresponsible, but with a faith that accepts each day, each moment from the Lord along His provisions for that day. We must be responsive to the Spirit. When He says, “no,” we stop! When He says, “go,” we move! A rebellious, willful person cannot enjoy holy shalom!

On a practical level, recovering peace means we will accept our limits. It is important to learn to refuse the requests that come from inside ourselves and the world around that lead us to being overcommitted, exhausted, and stressed out! We cannot be everything that others want us to be. We must choose simplicity as our way of life. The world around you will run your life as long as you allow others to be in charge. Many of us are quite proud of our incessantly ringing cell phones, our overflowing email boxes, and our long hours of work. Even though we complain about our schedules, these things make us feel important and valued. Some people would rather run naked down the street than admit that they have no pressing responsibility on a given day!

Despite having multiple responsibilities, I take charge of my schedule. Sure, occasionally crises arise unplanned and unforeseen that destroy my plans and press me into service for long hours. But, I do not live in crisis mode all the time. Anyone who does needs to take a hard look at their own choices to see if they are trying to do too much, if they are failing to plan well, or if they are simply disorganized. I plan regular times to retreat, times of high output, and times when I know I will focus intensely. And, I have learned that “no” is a good word, too. I get calls all the time in which someone says, “We think your skills or connections could really help us. Would you join our cause?” I’m glad that those people think I could help them, but unless I have a clear leading of the Lord, I say “No, thank you” without any guilt. If I am running around all day and into the night, I will lose the wholeness that is critically important to being who Gods wants me to be.

Disciple, part of our spiritual inheritance is the peace of God. In a fractured, pressured, stressed world, we can be people who enjoy holy peace, the blessing of shalom. We don’t have to escape into isolation, or disconnect from reality to live in it. It flows out of our relationship with the One who loves us most. Here’s a word from the Word. I pray that you will live in the promise.
“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid." (John 14:27, NLT) "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33, NLT)

_______________

Far away in the depths
Of my spirit tonight
Rolls a melody sweeter than psalm;
In celestial-like strains
It unceasingly falls
O'er my soul like an infinite calm.

Peace, Peace, wonderful peace,
Coming down from the Father above.
Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray,
In fathomless billows of love.

I am resting tonight
In this wonderful peace,
Resting sweetly in Jesus' control.
For I'm kept from all danger
By night and by day,
And His glory is flooding my soul.

Wonderful Peace
Cornell, Warren D. / Cooper, W. George

© Public Domain

No comments: