Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Re-thinking Sin


I’ve never murdered anybody. I don’t cheat on my wife. I’m nice to kids and animals. Yet, the Bible says, “Jerry, you are a sinner!” That’s because sin is not what we often think it is. We believe that sin is breaking the Law, doing bad things. Actually sin is something quite different which leads us to breaking those moral rules. Timothy Keller says that ‘sin is seeking to become oneself, to get an identity, apart from God.’  We need to think about that for it gives a whole new meaning to the Scripture’s declaration that ‘all have sinned!’

On Sunday I knelt down to eye level of two little boys at church, ages 3 and 5. They wanted to matter! They told me about their stuff, their trains, and their experiences in an excited conversation. Caleb and Hayden enjoyed being noticed and included! Don’t we all? So we learn what makes us noted and we work at doing it or being it better. Everyone of us makes our life about something or someone. We work at being a person who is valuable or noted for something. A pretty girl takes note that eyes follow her and she works to enhance her beauty and to hang onto it. An athlete experiences the approval of the coach and the crowd and decides to push his body harder, to hone his ability to throw the ball with even more accuracy.  The Christian notes how good he feels when others take note of his devotion and service and redoubles his efforts.  So what’s wrong with any of that? Nothing and everything. Each of those choices become sin when the person makes ‘good things into ultimate things. It is seeking to establish a sense of Self by making something more central to your significance, purpose, and happiness than your relationship to God.’  (Keller)

Only loving God and looking to Him can give our lives true meaning. Anything and anyone else will fail us. Beauty, brains, and brawn will abandon us sooner or later! The Teacher, writer of the book of Ecclesiastes, summarized the end of the life that has misfocused the search for meaning on things of this present world:  “Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher; “Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.” (Ecclesiastes 1:2, NKJV) Addictions result from a misplaced desire for meaning. At first the addict craves the pleasure, then he longs to find escape. The world is full of addictions to sex, to alcohol, to chemical drugs, to stuff – it’s a long list – precisely because we are all sinners.  St. Augustine famously wrote, “Our hearts are restless until they find their rest in Thee.”

Disciple, pursue Him! Turn your heart and mind often to quiet love for Him. Confess the disorderliness of your emotions and longings that allow idols to climb onto the throne that belongs exclusively to Him. John promises that in our confession we find "a Priest-Friend in the presence of the Father: Jesus Christ, righteous Jesus. When he served as a sacrifice for our sins, he solved the sin problem for good—not only ours, but the whole world’s." (1 John 2:1-2, The Message)
__________

Father, I am sinful.
How easily I am deceived by the things around me.
I so quickly make Your good gifts into idols.
In trying to find myself in them, I confess that I sin against You.
The darkness deepens.
Be my Light and my Deliverer.
Be my Hope and my Love.
Jesus, hold my hand. - Amen

"How can a young man cleanse his way?
By taking heed according to Your word.
With my whole heart I have sought You;
Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!
Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You." (Psalm 119:9-11, NKJV)

"How sweet are Your words to my taste,
Sweeter than honey to my mouth!" (Psalm 119:103, NKJV) 

No comments: