Monday, September 30, 2024

“Hello? Can you hear me now?”


Cell phones have a downside in my part of rural New Jersey – ‘dead zones.’  While I in a conversation when driving, suddenly the speech starts to garble and then … the connection drops. A mile or so down the road I redial and the conversation resumes.  For that reason, I tell people – “I’m driving. If the call drops, I’ll call you back.”  They often laugh if they are not familiar with call drops, but as often as not, gain a personal understanding of the warning before the call is complete!

In my lifelong Christian faith, sometimes my connection with God seems a little like my cell phone’s call drops!  There are times when I sense His Presence. Faith is strong and worship is filled with meaning.  There are also seasons when my faith is a commitment, a choice to walk on in spite of the feelings of a lost connection. Perhaps that surprises you, but I am fairly certain that in an honest moment you acknowledge your own times of walking by faith. 

I grew up in a spiritual community that did not have room for questions or expressions of uncertainty.  To say out loud that you thought that God was sometimes baffling or disappointing was near heresy.  Everybody, it seemed, just knew that He was good.  Preachers had a kind of certainty that I longed for, implying that God’s voice was always present, that their prayers never went unanswered.  I concluded that with enough ‘faith’ every particle of doubt could be eliminated.   I’m sure they intended to inspire, but for me created a terrible burden, a sense that something was wrong with me and for others whose Christianity  did not include all the ‘right’ answers.

Let’s recognize this - there is a major difference between outright disbelief and questioning the mysteries of the faith.  I am deeply committed to Christ, my life shaped by a faith in eternal life. I refuse to let whatever mysteries of faith remain for me to cause me to walk at a distance from God, to avoid worship, or abandon the pathway of life.  I live in the Truth I know and serve the Who I know. By faith, I accept the evidences of God’s existence and the revelation of Christ Jesus in the Holy Word. Yet days come when I feel a longing for ‘more.’  Like Moses, I want to see God ‘face to face.’

Daniel Taylor writes about living as a ‘yearner.’  “Yearners,”  he says, “are earnestly searching for a meaningful relationship with transcendence – often the God of the Bible.  They desire peace, belonging, significance, stability, confidence about the future and more – all wrapped in the concept of love given and received.” (Christianity Today, Sept/Oct 2024 Does that describe you?

Jesus met a man with a need whose story is told in Mark’s gospel, chapter 9.  He evidently had heard of Jesus’ work and brought his tormented son to the Lord. The boy could not speak, foamed at the mouth, and fell rigid on the ground. “How long has this been happening?” Jesus asked the boy’s father. He replied, “Since he was very small. The evil spirit often makes him fall into the fire or into water, trying to kill him. Have mercy on us and help us. Do something if you can.” (Mark 9:21-22, NLT)   Can you hear the yearning in his voice?  He wants his son healed but there remains a bit of a question – “if you can.”  Jesus challenged him to make a choice of commitment - What do you mean, ‘If I can’?” Jesus asked. “Anything is possible if a person believes.” (Mark 9:23, NLT)

What comfort for yearners I find in the next part of the story.  The man throws himself, questions and all, at the mercy of Jesus- “help me!”  "The father instantly replied, “I do believe, but help me not to doubt!” When Jesus saw that the crowd of onlookers was growing, he rebuked the evil spirit. “Spirit of deafness and muteness,” he said, “I command you to come out of this child and never enter him again!” Then the spirit screamed and threw the boy into another violent convulsion and left him. The boy lay there motionless, and he appeared to be dead. A murmur ran through the crowd, “He’s dead.” But Jesus took him by the hand and helped him to his feet, and he stood up." (Mark 9:24-27, NLT)   

Just as Jesus looked beyond that father’s questions to meet his need, God will never turn His back on us because our faith incomplete or our mind continues to ask hard questions.  IF we will choose to look to Him, with even the smallest grain of faith, He will provide what we need.  He asks that we turn ourselves to Him, that we keep our ears open to Him, and that we refuse to let our uncertainties morph into rebellion or bitterness. Paul says "We live by faith, not by sight." (2 Corinthians 5:7, NIV)  To doubting Thomas, the Resurrected Jesus said "Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” (John 20:29, NIV)

Choose faith!
Anticipate the promise of life eternal!
Appropriate the grace given!

Here is the word from the Word. May it inspire us to aspire to faithfulness. “So honor the Lord and serve him wholeheartedly. Put away forever the idols your ancestors worshiped when they lived beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt. Serve the Lord alone. But if you are unwilling to serve the Lord, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.”  (Joshua 24:14-15, NLT)

_________

(Video of this blog at this link)

The Jesus Way

If you curse me then I will bless you
If you hurt me I will forgive
And if you hate me then I will love you
I choose the Jesus way

If you’re helpless I will defend you
And if you’re burdened I’ll share the weight
And if you’re hopeless then let me show you
There’s hope in the Jesus way

I follow Jesus I follow Jesus
He wore my sin I’ll gladly wear His name
He is the treasure He is the answer
Oh I choose the Jesus way

If you strike me I will embrace you
And if you chain me I’ll sing His praise
And if you kill me my home is heaven
For I choose the Jesus way

I choose surrender I choose to love
Oh God my Savior You’ll always be enough
I choose forgiveness I choose grace
I choose to worship no matter what I face
I choose the Jesus way
I choose the Jesus way

 

Jonathan Smith, Phil Wickham

© Be Essential Songs; Cashagamble Jet Music; Phil Wickham Music; Simply Global Songs

CCLI License #810055

No comments: