Monday, June 03, 2024

Will you be ‘at rest?’


The summer Sunday afternoon was wonderful. My whole being relaxed into the day … first in worship, then with friends, and finally in ‘rest.’  Laying aside responsibilities, letting go of those things that create stress, remembering the grace of God that makes me His child, I rested - physically, emotionally, and spiritually.  When it was time for bed, I quickly drifted into deep sleep. Such days are a gift and are grounded on the promises of the Lord - my Guide, my Strength, and my Salvation.

The Scripture tells us that there is a ‘rest’ prepared for all who will enter into it.  Reflecting back on the Exodus of the people of God from Egypt and their journey to the Promisesd Land, the writer says "there is a special rest still waiting for the people of God. For all who enter into God’s rest will find rest from their labors, just as God rested after creating the world. Let us do our best to enter that place of rest. For anyone who disobeys God, as the people of Israel did, will fall." (Hebrews 4:9-11, NLT) 

Those people of long ago resisted the guidance of God, attempting to go their own way, and they wandered in the wilderness, without a permanent home, for an entire generation!  But, when they chose faith and let God lead, they were able to enter into God’s rest.  They are an example for us, a living lesson.  We are spiritually invited into rest, to leave our wilderness wandering in life, to be ‘at home’ in His love.

The primary intent of that passage is about our eternal salvation. At the invitation of the Spirit, our soul comes ‘home.’ We find purpose, place, and identity as a child of the Heavenly Father. Are you still unsure of His love? Do you feel unsettled when you think of His will?  The answer is not to ‘try harder’ to be good or better, but rather to accept the proffered gift of rest!  But in those words from Hebrews there is also the promise of a kind of ‘rest’ from anxiousness that can only be found when we live in the Spirit’s love, lead each day through the problems and pitfalls of ordinary life, yet ‘at rest’ in the assurance that we have a Father who cares and provides! 

Jesus extends this offer. "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, NKJV)  The invitation is not to Easy Street, nor is it to another vacation. He wants us to walk with Him, to work with Him.  His way is not that of a hard-driving Boss, nor does He desire us to live in perpetual stress or with pressures of unfinished business.  We are invited to learn a new way, the way of the Spirit, in which we live steadily, sometimes wearied by our responsibilities, yet not hopeless or burnt out; all of meaningful life drained from us.

The Message paraphrases His invitation to live in 'unforced rhythms of grace!'   My natural personality causes me to tend to drive myself hard, going at life at high speed. With maturity, I know that in those moments when I am focused on my own agenda and inattentive to the Spirit’s pace, I will grow harsh, miserable, and sometimes even mean.  But, I also know the joy of waiting on the Lord, remaining at a place attentive to His voice, and seeing Him bring answers that are “immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.” (Eph 3:20)

Are you starting a new week already weary?
Are you asking yourself if you can it for even one more day, if you can endure another engagement with that person, in that place, or dealing with that ‘problem’ without losing your mind?

Let me urge you to take a "Jesus" break. Carve time for personal worship into that busy schedule. Perhaps your prayer will just be the whispered words, “Help me, Jesus.” He hears. So, breath deep, and wait, and listen, and “you’ll recover your life” He promises. I hope you have a friend or two who will just listen and love without judgment, kindly being “Jesus with skin on” for you.  

 Make time everyday for Him, for yourself, a place to reflect, learn, listen, and enter into rest.  Practice the Sabbath principle of the Scripture, making one day in seven a day focused on worship and spiritual renewal.  Let me repeat a phrase from Hebrews once again. “All who enter into God’s rest will find rest from their labors, just as God rested after creating the world. Let us do our best to enter that place of rest.”

Here is a word from the Word. "Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40:30-31, NIV)

(Video of this blog at this link)

_____________________________

 Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)

 

 You call me out upon the waters

The great unknown where feet may fail

And there I find You in the mystery

In oceans deep my faith will stand

 

And I will call upon Your name

And keep my eyes above the waves

When oceans rise

My soul will rest in Your embrace

For I am Yours and You are mine

 

Your grace abounds in deepest waters

Your sov'reign hand will be my guide

Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me

You've never failed and You won't start now

 

Oh and You are mine oh

 

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders

Let me walk upon the waters

Wherever You would call me

Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander

And my faith will be made stronger

In the presence of my Saviour

 

I will call upon Your name

Keep my eyes above the waves

My soul will rest in Your embrace

I am Yours and You are mine

 

Joel Houston, Matt Crocker, Salomon Ligthelm

© 2012 Hillsong Music Publishing Australia

CCLI License #810055

No comments: