Thursday, March 20, 2014

Don' Quit Today!



Don’t quit today!

I read the following bit of 'wisdom' recently.  "Respect yourself enough to be willing to walk away from situations that don't make you happy."  That is wrong, not good, nor godly.  We are too ready, too quick, to call it quits these days. Some marriages end, not because of abuse or adultery, because two people will not grow with each other, letting love die. Joe and Sally Christian quit their church when offended, bored, or discontent. Quitting frequently has unintended consequences, too. A young woman who has been spiritually wandering told me, “It started when my parent’s pulled me out of the church where I had a spiritual home just because they were unhappy. I lost my roots, my anchor, and then my way.” I wonder how many other kids would say the same, if they could?

Jesus said, “Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.” (Luke 9:62, NLT) Serious words, aren’t they?  I’ll be honest. This Pastor occasionally is tempted to quit. When the budget is tight, when lots of ‘people needs’ pile up, when I’m staring at a blank computer screen wondering what to say on Sunday morning, when the pressure is on to produce bigger numbers for our reports – I sometimes daydream another assignment in life. I don’t linger long in that fantasy land, because it is a waste of time to do so! My son calls me ‘the finisher,’ because he says I don’t know how to quit! I hope he’s right.

One of the key traits of a mature disciple of Jesus Christ is perseverance.

In the Scripture there are several synonyms for this word: patience, endurance, and longsuffering. James tells us to "Take the old prophets as your mentors. They put up with anything, went through everything, and never once quit, all the time honoring God. What a gift life is to those who stay the course! You’ve heard, of course, of Job’s staying power, and you know how God brought it all together for him at the end. That’s because God cares, cares right down to the last detail." (James 5:10-11, The Message)

The kingdom of God needs people who show up even when they don’t feel like it, who do what they’re called and equipped to do even when they’re bored or tired. We need steady men and women who are willing to say: “I know that God has called me. My feelings are secondary to my commitment. I’ll serve, I’ll stay, I’ll love – so help me God!” Those kind of disciples are key players, incredibly valuable, and the ones who get things done for God, often quietly and without accolades – but it matters little, for they serve for the joy of obedience, not for applause or even self-fulfillment. Yes, I know that paragraph reads like heresy to the average ‘happy hungry’ American who can’t imagine doing anything hard for any length of time.

Here’s some of the best encouragement you will ever get on the subject of commitment and endurance. "Since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne." (Hebrews 12:1-2, NLT)

Are you considering quitting? 
Ready to walk out on your covenant with your spouse?  
Ready to just let that teenage rebel go his own way? 
Ready to lay aside your ministry calling?
Thinking about ending a friendship that has become strained?
Ready to leave your church?

Pray about it! Tell God how you feel. Your emotions are real, so don’t deny them. Then, listen carefully for the Spirit’s counsel. “Run with endurance!”  And remember this glorious promise for the weary, the battered, the bruised who remain faithful to the Lord: “These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore, “they are before the throne of God and serve him day and night in his temple; and he who sits on the throne will spread his tent over them. Never again will they hunger; never again will they thirst. The sun will not beat upon them, nor any scorching heat. For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.” (Revelation 7:14-17, NIV)
____________

Am I a soldier of the cross,
A follower of the Lamb.
And shall I fear to own His cause,
Or blush to speak His name?

Sure I must fight if I would reign,
Increase my courage, Lord:
I'll bear the toil, endure the pain,
Supported by Thy Word.

And when the battle's over We shall wear a crown!
Yes, we shall wear a crown! Yes, we shall wear a crown.
And when the battle's over, We shall wear a crown
In the new Jerusalem.

When The Battle's Over
Watts, Isaac / Waters, Harriette / Lind, A.E.© Public Domain

No comments: