Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Not the answer I want

I spent some time last night in my dreams in the realm of fairy tales. I dreamt of wishing for 'happily ever after,' of finding the right phrases that magically changed everything. But, alas, that is the stuff of kid's story books. I live in a world where problems become catalysts of solutions that are worked out, step by step; where disappointments become the doorway to discovery of God's plans - worked out in His own mysterious ways and almost never within my timetable. If you think I am discouraged, you're wrong. There is some battle fatigue in evidence. I know that especially when I start to dream of the ability to wave a magical wand and make it all go away. Even weariness, however, has its own kind of blessing. It makes me quiet down and listen to the Spirit more intently.

Here's what He said to me through the Scripture today. It was not the answer I wanted, but it was exactly the wisdom I needed. "God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. ... Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen. Dear friends, don’t be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. Instead, be very glad—for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering, so that you will have the wonderful joy of seeing his glory when it is revealed to all the world. So be happy when you are insulted for being a Christian, for then the glorious Spirit of God rests upon you. If you suffer, however, it must not be for murder, stealing, making trouble, or prying into other people’s affairs. But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by his name!"
(1 Peter 4:10-16, NLT)

For me that short passage was a real boost.

First, God reminded me us that HE prepares me to be part of His work and gives me divine abilities to fulfill His purposes.

Second, He assured me that the stuff that is scorching me - a very ill Dad, leading a church in a world that is so casual about spiritual matters, constantly standing alongside of people in deep times of crisis, resisting temptation that can be intensely attractive, and more - is part of being human and that all of these painful things serve the purpose of burning away the fog that obscures the brightness of Christ Jesus shining through me!

Third, He promised that the pain will make me a partner with Christ, joined in His efforts, and open to the Spirit's strength.

Fourth, He challenged me to praise Him for my high calling in the middle of it all!

None of those things would happen if I found some magical method that allowed me to create a world of eternal sunshine, without any suffering, full of perpetual happiness! (Oh, the land of wonderful dreams and of Heaven that awaits!) Without stress that forces growth I would remain a child in a man's world. Visiting the classroom inhabited by 6 year-old children where my wife teaches first grade is refreshing. Those little ones are largely untroubled by the economic crisis, unconcerned about the state of America's culture, or other problems in life. They are amazingly happy, as little children ought to be. Some people mistakenly think that real disciples of Christ should continue to live as little children- laughing and unburdened. Really? Can those first graders do the work of God? Do they have the capacity to comfort the broken, help a sinner find redemption, or exercise a spiritual gift? Of course not. They are not adults, nor should they be expected to act as mature adults. They will grow up, learn to accept responsibility, and become useful as they deal with life.

I am a mature man, called to the work of building the Kingdom of God in a world full of sin that makes that task sometimes hard. In my weariness, God did not give me the answer I wanted today because I was longing for a childish fantasy! Instead, He gave me the answer I needed; a call to steady endurance and a renewed faith in His strength to keep me.

I hope you're open to His Word and listening intently for the voice of the Spirit. He will speak to you, too: not to say what you want to hear, but always to speak the Truth that brings genuine comfort.
_______________________

In a world of fear and turmoil,
In a race that seems so hard to run;
Lord, I need Thy rich infilling,
Even so, Lord Jesus, come.

Even so, Lord Jesus, come;
O come, my heart doth long for Thee;
Though I've failed and betrayed Thy trust,
O Lord Jesus, come.

When my eyes shall span the river,
When I gaze into the vast unknown;
May I say with calm assurance,
"Even now, Lord Jesus, come."

William and Gloria Gaither
© 1964 William J. Gaither, Inc. ARR UBP of Gaither Copyright ManagementCCLI License No. 810055

No comments: