Friday, January 06, 2006

25F

I flew to Florida to see my kids on Christmas day. Traveling by airplane, which I once thought a lot of fun, is now just a means of transportation from which the glamour has long since faded. After being herded through security lines, taking off my shoes and belt so I could be scrutinized by bored people saying, "Please keep your boarding pass available for inspection," over and over; and then walking for a mile through terminals full of tired people; we all got to cram ourselves into seats made for people the size of my wife! Due to a reservation glitch, the four of us who were traveling together ended up in different parts of the airplane and I was assigned to seat 25F! In that Boeing 737-400, seat 25F was in the last row, a window seat which made it narrower. It didn't recline because it was right against the rear cabin wall, and was right next to the restroom which was quite odiferous by that time of the night!

As I took my seat quite tired at 9:30 PM, I was grumbling inside. "25F! What did I do to deserve this seat? Why can't I be with my wife, enjoying some conversation at least?" I was the anti-Christmas guy, for sure. The good feelings that I had felt at 10 AM when singing, "Joy to the World," were swallowed up by my supposed misery! But, the Holy Spirit was traveling US Air Flight 704 that evening, too! In the middle of my complaints, He prodded my conscience and I began to realize the extent of my self-absorption at that moment. He got very personal --

Was a 2 hour stretch in a seat that was minorly uncomfortable really all that big of a deal?
Was it going to be made any better by allowing myself to be angry and irritable?
What happened to "in every circumstance give thanks?"
Why did I think I was 'undeserving' of 25F?
Was I somehow better than the other people on the plane?

I started smiling, amused by my foolishness, at the ease with which I had slid into sinning by ingratitude. The more I thought about my response to my seat assignment, the more amused I became, until I broke into a little chuckle. The lady seated next to me heard me and asked what was so funny. I think she thought I was laughing at her, at first, because she was grumbling aloud to no one in particular. I told her that earlier in the day I had led a congregation in worship on one of the most joyful days of the year, that I was on my way to spend some quality time with my kids and grandkids. Now, I was in seat 25F and I had nearly lost my joy to self-pity. She started to laugh, too! God's Spirit turned the situation around. I kept the boarding pass stub as a reminder of my little epiphany in 25F.

It's so easy to let little, inconsequential things steal our peace! Of course, there are situations in life that are terrible, but seat 25F wasn't one of them. Just this week, I've ministered to a couple of people whose problems really are big issues. One lady poured out her heart, broken by a marriage to a man who is unbelievably selfish, but she is trapped because she cannot support her kids alone; and she wants to do the right thing, too. As we prayed together, a desperate little prayer for Jesus' intervention in some way not obvious in that moment to either of us, she wept inconsolably. I talked with another person who is facing major health problems that are life-threatening. He tried to be brave, but I could see the worry lines etched into his face. Even in those kinds of situations, I am glad that there is hope, there is One to turn to. Jesus promised, "I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world at large cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you do, because he lives with you now and later will be in you. No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you." (John 14:16-18, NLT)

Are you worried, irritated, complaining, because you're in a place not of your choosing today?
God, the Holy Spirit, is present! Open up your mind, your heart, to Him. Prayerfully invite Him to be close.
Perhaps He'll do for you what He did for me -and just put your attitude in perspective and help you to deal with life with more equanimity!
Or, if necessary, He'll comfort you with a supernatural peace, becoming your Advocate in time of trouble.

Here's a Truth to take with you today:
  • "Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:5-7, NLT)
    _________________________
Give thanks
With a grateful heart,
Give thanks to the Holy One;
Give thanks because He's given
Jesus Christ, His Son.

And now let the weak say,"I am strong."
Let the poor say,"I am rich"
Because of what
The Lord has done for us.
And now let the weak say,"I am strong."
Let the poor say,"I am rich"
Because of what
The Lord has done for us.

Give thanks.


Give Thanks-- Smith, Henry
Copyright: 1978 Integrity's Hosanna! Music (c/o Integrity Music, Inc.)

No comments: