Monday, January 02, 2006

What's ahead?

There I stood, on a rocky mountain point, high above the valley, looking toward the horizon. That was the mental image that formed in my mind as I prayerfully meditated this morning. The adventure we call 'life' continues with the flip of the calendar.
  • What's ahead in 2006?
  • What part do I play in shaping the tomorrows that will aggregate into another year of history?

Those questions are very much in my mind today at the beginning of a New Year.

2005 was a year of challenges, to say the least! Globally, we saw pain and suffering on terrible scale in floods and storms that brought death and destruction to hundreds of thousands. War tightened it's ghastly grip around the world in conflicts large and small. These United States seemed to descend even deeper into the swamp of self-interest as we searched in vain for statesmen of bold vision to inspire us to greatness as a nation. Those in both political parties appear, to me anyway, to be squandering the amazing influence and resources of this wonderful nation on petty political squabbles while the world becomes a more dangerous place day by day. It is a year that many hope not to re-live!

Personally, the year past was one of challenge, too. I hope I do not have to relive it, though I am thankful for the spiritual and intellectual growth that came from working through the unpleasant 'stuff.' (an intentionally non-specific word!) If you're presently working through 'stuff,' let me encourage you from my experience. It is true that at the end of yourself, you find God's strength. Paul says of his own struggles, "The Lord said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:7-10, NIV) I've found it true! When I am beyond my perceived capabilities and at the limits of my life skills, I am in a place where I more readily allow God to be in charge.

That said, I am not casting myself to fate! There are choices to be made today that will certainly have a part in shaping tomorrow. Joshua's charge to Israel echoes in my mind -- "Choose today!" He made it clear that their day to day decisions would have far-reaching consequence. Even as we trust in God's strength, we need to pray for wisdom to choose wisely and well, so that our choices will lay a rock-solid foundation for our life. Jesus told a story that is simple and yet profound. We must choose! He said, "Anyone who listens to my teaching and obeys me (a choice word, right?) is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse, because it is built on rock. But anyone who hears my teaching and ignores it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will fall with a mighty crash.” (Matthew 7:24-27, NLT) Our choices are important!

As we look out over the vista that stretches out to the horizon, we must trust the Providence of an all-wise God and pray for courage to choose His way today - for today is all we own. Tomorrow may never come. But, should there be tomorrows, there are great promises of God for us to own, and come what may - we can live hopefully, purposefully, and pleasing our God - if we follow Him closely.

Here's a hymn for our thoughts today. Make it a prayer.

Lead On O King Eternal

Lead on, O King Eternal.
The day of march has come;
Henceforth in fields of conquest

Thy tents shall be our home.
Through days of preparation
Thy grace has made us strong;
And now, O King eternal,
We lift our battle song.


Lead on, O King Eternal,
'Till sin's fierce war shall cease,
And holiness shall whisper
The sweet "Amen" of peace.
For not with swords loud clashing,
Nor roll of stirring drums;
With deeds of love and mercy,
The heav'nly kingdom comes.

Lead on, O King Eternal,
We follow, not with fears;
For gladness breaks like morning
Where'er Thy face appears.
Thy cross is lifted o'er us;
We journey in its light.
The crown awaits the conquest;
Lead on, O God of might.

Author: Shurtleff, Ernest W. / Smart, HenryCopyright: Public Domain

No comments: