Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Loved!

"Love is a many-splendored thing, ... love is nature's way of giving, a reason to be living; the golden crown that makes a man a king!" Those old love songs might be corny but they surely capture a feeling, don't they? One reason to enjoy a wedding reception is the opportunity to hear Joe Cocker growl, "You are so beautiful to me... you're everything I hope for, everything I need" and the Righteous Brothers rendition of "Unchained Melody." Are you laughing at me, a silly fool in love? Romantic love makes an easy target for those who wish to mock but - if we've been in love - we never forget the rush that came the first time we fell in love, as immature as that experience might have been.

Having loved the same lady for more than 31 years, I know the depth and breadth of a mature love, too. One evening recently, as we sat quietly reading in our living room, I looked over at Bev and remarked that it was my favorite time of day - just being together. My heart beats faster, a feeling akin to terror clutches my throat, when I even think of being torn from her!

Are you 'in love' with Christ Jesus with feelings something like those? I don't mean to imply that we need a teen-age crush on Jesus, and it's hard to separate our romantic love from sexual stirrings, so the language is perhaps confusing when used about our Lord. But, please, reach for the idea with me.

Christianity without passion just isn't Biblical!
The grandest love story of all time is the story of God's love for us, written in the life and death of Jesus. As much as I like and as often as I have used the "Four Spiritual Laws" to explain the concept of sin and salvation; the 1,2,3,4 logic of that presentation doesn't come close to capturing the essence of the heart of God like the story Jesus told of a lost son who came home to the arms of the Waiting Father after wasting his fortune and ruining his life! "And while he was still a long distance away, his father saw him coming. Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him, and kissed him." That is compelling stuff! Who doesn't long to be loved like that after failing, falling, and disappointing another?

Trained to think scientifically, we have made even our faith a thing of careful logic, systematic theologies with points built into a structure of reason. I am thankful for those who study the Scripture, who teach us about the important truths contained in the sacred Word. We just must not lose the heart of the faith in the process of parsing the words! From the beginning the Bible is more than history; it is "God's story!" Genesis 3 tells us that God came walking in the Garden, just to be with His created beings, a Divine Lover. The most common imagery that the Hebrews used to describe their relationship to God was marriage, and it became the language of the Church who is the 'Bride of Christ.' The ancient prophets railed on the people who went after other gods calling their perfidy - spiritual adultery.

The Bible speaks of our covenant with God, not a contract! He loves us, draws us and we love Him in return. The love is not calculated, nor is it based on some equation of return. It is abandonment of ourselves to Him. Ah, friend, do you love Him? We must go beyond cutting a deal with God that is cynically described as- "I believe some facts and You give me the key to Heaven." We must love Him! That might require a new way of seeing Who He is, of thinking of our faith in new ways.

Let this 'love letter' inspire you today.
"How blessed is God! And what a blessing he is! He’s the Father of our Master, Jesus Christ, and takes us to the high places of blessing in him.
Long before he laid down earth’s foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love. Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into his family through Jesus Christ.
(What pleasure he took in planning this!)
He wanted us to enter into the celebration of his lavish gift-giving by the hand of his beloved Son."
(Ephesians 1:3-6, The Message)
___________________________

I'm calling out to You,
There must something more;
Some deeper place to find,
Some secret place to hide,
Where I've not gone before!

Where my soul is satisfied,
and my sin is put to death;
and I can hear Your voice,
and Your purpose is my choice,
as natural as a breath.

The Love I knew before;
When You first touched my life,
I need You to restore,
I want You to revive!

Could You place in my heart,
A passion for Jesus,
A hunger that seizes,
my passion for You?
My one desire,
my greatest possession,
My only confession,
my passion for You!

Passion for Jesus
Author: Brian Houston

No comments: