Monday, January 09, 2006

What prize?

Wild card weekend is over! Four football teams advance in the play-offs, including my New England Patriots, who are again looking like the SuperBowl champions they were a year ago. Millions of dollars, thousands of hours- yes, entire lives- are devoted to the pursuit of winning a game and being declared the champions ... for a year until the next SuperBowl. It's a lot of effort for a very temporary reward.

What are you working for? Is it worth the effort?

The Scripture says, "Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." (1 Corinthians 9:25, NIV) Paul uses athletic competition to illustrate spiritual truth frequently in his New Testament writings. {I wonder if he would have been a football fan?} In the passage quoted, he refers to the 'crown,' the wreath of laurel that was placed on the head of the winner of the games. He refers to the obvious temporary quality of that reward. The leaves of the 'crown' soon wilted and eventually crumbled to powder! Did the athletes really work to win the wreath? Of course not. It was the recognition that came with wearing that coveted symbol of success that they desired. But even such recognition is short-lived. They knew that another athlete was already training hard to compete in the games, and that another would be taking first place in line soon.

Again, I ask - what are you working for?
Money? What you buy will soon wear out, become obsolete, or lose its luster.
Fame? Remember Andy's Warhol's line about 'everyone getting their 15 minutes of fame?' The public's attention span is very short!
Security? Let me remind you that nothing this side of heaven is secure!

"Jerry, you sound cynical and pessimistic about life." No, not at all. I have a real purpose that is focused on eternity. What I do now, those things that give me hope and that motivate me, are anchored to the spiritual realm in the will and purpose of God! Paul said, "So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who misses his punches. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified." (1 Corinthians 9:26-28, NLT)

Understand the heart of this challenge! It is not that we all have become preachers or that we all have to go on the payroll of some not-for-profit service agency in order to have a meaningful or God-pleasing life. God needs His people in business and government, too! Whatever we do, if we are reaching for the eternal prize, must be done in a way that reflects Christ is Lord of our life. You can go to work today with the aim of 'putting in your time,' to bring home a few dollars at the end of the week. With that focus, you're earning a prize that will quickly fade! Or you can go to work to please God, in whatever you do! Yes, it is true. Paul urges a work ethic that is eternity-focused writing: "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." (Colossians 3:23-24, NIV)

Honor the Lord with your efforts today. As a parent, as a spouse, as an employee, as a neighbor, as a friend... keep your eyes on the eternal prize of His approval, a prize that won't wilt, crumble, fade, or be surpassed by another in the SuperBowl of life!
_______________

Father, give us vision that sees into eternity!
Help me to see Your purposes in our lives so I will be called to excellence.
All around me, Lord, there are people who are working for very temporary rewards,
and I am drawn to the trinkets that are offered.
The gleam of gold allures me, Lord.
The certificate of recognition promises me that I can feel like a winner.
Remind me how short-lived those awards are, so I will focus my efforts beyond them.

Hold out the promise of eternal life to me.
Give me the desire, more than anything else in life,
to do Your will and so to hear those coveted words from Christ, my Savior and Lord:

"Well done, good and faithful servant. Come share my happiness!"
In the Name of Jesus, I pray.
Amen.

No comments: