Tuesday, January 10, 2006

What's the truth? Will you help me find it?

Monday being my day out of the office, I was able to watch some of the Senate confirmation hearings for Mr. Samuel Alito, nominee to the US Supreme Court. This judicial nomination will have far-reaching ramifications, given the deep political, social, and religious divides in America today. My attention was captured by the extreme differences between the statements made by Democratic Senators and the Republican Senators that characterized this nominee's prior work as a judge and his opinions from the bench. Could they be speaking of the same man? I found myself asking, "what is the truth?" Portions of the presentations made by Senators from both sides of the aisle were thought provoking; and, in my opinion, worthy of honest debate to help clarify how we expect each of three arms of our Federal government to function in preserving our cherished freedoms and way of life. But what is more likely is that the two sides in this debate will speak past each other, never really listening to each other, at all.

My point in this TFTD is not to advance a political point of view. Rather I want to ask us to think for moment about the ways in which we become entrenched in our opinions to such an extent that dialogue becomes impossible. It is comfortable, and even easy, to think that what we have come to believe is the truth, isn't it? We generally group ourselves with people who think as we do, thus reinforcing our beliefs. Certain phrases, even words, become coded, meaning that they carry a special meaning to us, though we may not realize it. So we go out into a surreal world where we speak the same words of the same langugage to each other, but we do not understand what is meant by those words.

Dialogue, open and honest, helps break the code in our words. But few of us are interested in dialogue; instead, we shout! Dialogue is an exhausting, even frustrating process! Jimmy's Carter, former President and Nobel Peace Prize winner, has written a new book, Our Endangered Values, in which he pleads with us to listen to each other, rather than shooting at each other with words, if not literally. He sees the rise in fundamentalism, (that he characterizes as the idea "I am right, therefore you are wrong and there is nothing to discuss.") which is gaining ground around the world, as the real threat of the future. Why? Because it allows for no clarifying dialogue. Even here in these United States, there are many who will not listen to an opposing point of view fearing that even by listening they will appear to be giving credence to those who oppose them. When people begin to attempt to 'out shout' each other, the truth is lost in the din.

"But, Jerry, don't you believe in Jesus Christ and the Truth of the Scripture?" I do, but I don't have to shout down those who swear it's all a myth or deception! Rather, I am convinced by Christ's model of love that I need to make my life consistent by closing the gap between what I say I believe and how I act in everyday situations. As a Christian, it is imperative that I live with integrity. This becomes the 'witness' to the Truth of Christ which others find hard to refute. If I listen to their criticism, I may discover areas where my actions are not reflecting the Truth I espouse, something that might be more obvious to an outsider than to myself. If I humble myself to engage in dialogue, I may earn the right to be heard and have the opportunity to 'decode' the Gospel for those who do not understand.

Are you speaking past your neighbor, past your family members, past your friends in a supposed defense of the Gospel of Christ?
Are you really listening to them.... to the Spirit of God?

Let's turn down the volume and make large the video!
Let's ask the Spirit of God to make our lives whole and holy, full of grace and truth, marked by love and good deeds.
Though a million should swear against the Truth, they will not make it a lie. Though a million should affirm a falsehood, they cannot make it true.

So, we stand in Him, secure in His love.

Here's a Word to ponder today:
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.

But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does." (James 1:19-25, NIV)

No comments: