Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Approved - by God.

We are all finding our place in the world. Questions of security, of belonging, of personal worth are a part of life. If we are insecure, those questions become very important and we spend a lot of time measuring ourselves, evaluating how others are treating us, seeking affirmation. Just look at your average teenage girl. At age 14, most people have not yet developed a strong sense of identity. That is why teens move in groups and work so hard to conform to the popular norms. For example, the label on their jeans is a critical thing - because it is a way to 'fit in.'

Some persons never really move out of that time of life emotionally even well into adulthood. They crave the approval and acceptance of friends and family. The opinions of others - about their work, the way they are raising their kids, the kind of car they drive, even the way they tend their yard - defines them. They are like a puppet on string, dancing on life's stage - but because someone else tugs at them; first this way, then that. Persons who live for approval of others will constantly be adjusting their image, trying to conceal those parts of their life that they think are unacceptable. They do not even know who they really are.

One of the wonderful benefits of being a Christian is the discovery of God's amazing love, offered to us, NOT on the basis of our beauty, brains, or brawn; but just because we are! As we learn of God's love, as shown in Jesus Christ, and respond to Him with love, we gain a security and a sense of identity that allows us to live openly and honestly, becoming holy men and women. Yes it is true. Religion produces hypocrites, because it is about human performance, about doing good works, about meeting the expectations of God- as defined by others. A grace-based relationship with God produces a whole person because it about being loved powerfully, by One who knows us best, and desiring to please Him.

Some who are Christians have not grasped the extent of God's acceptance, hence they never speak of their failures, never admit to fear or confusion, carefully hide those things that they consider blots in the book of life. When I find myself in the company of someone like that, who feels compelled to always look like they're doing great, I just want to hug them close and whisper - "God loves you, blots and all. It's OK to be real!" I'm not advocating reveling in sin or excusing bad behaviors. That is a twisted concept of God's gracious love. It is true that some, in immaturity, make God's grace into a license for sinning. "If He loves me as I am, then I can go on living to suit myself." That's always been the response of some to the message of God's love.

Yes, we must change, becoming holy men and women. Here's the clear call of the Word. "Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is." (Romans 12:2, NLT) The motive for that change is the KEY. Are we trying to change ourselves to win the approval of our church or family, or are we loving God and being changed by love? Let me illustrate the idea from marriage. I love Bev, my wife. I have loved her for a long time now, yesterday being the 31st anniversary of our wedding vows! My fidelity to her is not a matter of avoiding disapproval of others or even her disapproval. I am faithful to my vows, because I love her! When I see other beautiful women, I do not need to do elaborate mental gymnastics to keep my heart true to my wife - because I love her! And, the deeper our love has grown, the more repugnant the thought of betraying our vows has become.

Are you insecure?
Are you trying to win approval - from God, from others - with morality, with service, or by presenting only your 'good side' to the world?

Believe this- God knows you and loves you, just as you are!
Believer, a true and beautiful holiness, a pure morality, a winsome authenticity grows in the fertile soil of love.

Here's a word to meditate on today -"For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. If you serve Christ with this attitude, you will please God. And other people will approve of you, too." (Romans 14:17-18, NLT)
_________________
How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure,

That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away,
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory.

Behold the man upon a cross.
My sin upon His shoulders;
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers.
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished;
His dying breath has brought me life -
I know that it is finished.

I will not boast in anything,
No gifts, no power, no wisdom;
But I will boast in Jesus Christ,
His death and resurrection.

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart,
His wounds have paid my ransom.

How Deep The Father's Love For Us, Townend, Stuart
Copyright: 1995 Kingsway's Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)

No comments: