Friday, August 18, 2023

Make it beautiful


I like creating order out of chaos, even in such a simple thing as keeping my lawn mowed.  I’m a fan of a clean house and a washed car. There’s just something rewarding to me that flows out of making a little spot of order and beauty in the world that knows so much chaos. No amount of wishing, hoping, or talking can make any of those happen.  I have to get up and get at it, willing to expend some energy. The curse of sin brings weeds and decay our way, but with God’s help, we can make a difference, but will we?

A beautiful life of a Christian, a character marked by the Spirit’s fruit –  love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control” - (Galatians 5:22)  requires the application of ourselves in spiritual disciplines. Christlikeness demands our daily attention and the work of the Spirit in us. Faith that survives the chaos is built by doing the small things that honor Him.

Here is a tough question - Is your life filled with chaos, unfinished business, unresolved conflict – all growing like weeds? 

Jesus in us, experienced in the life of the Holy Spirit, gives us the ability to make a new choice, to begin to live “on purpose.”  The chaos can be turned into beauty  - one choice, one day, at a time. Of course, we cannot control everything!  Storms and sickness visit us uninvited despite our best preparations and preventatives! However, those who have learned to walk with God are much better equipped to deal with those surprises, even to learn from them!

Theirs is a faith that is anchored in God’s unwavering providence. He says  "And do not forget the things I have done throughout history. For I am God—I alone! I am God, and there is no one else like me. Only I can tell you what is going to happen even before it happens. Everything I plan will come to pass, for I do whatever I wish." (Isaiah 46:9-10, NLT)  And, from His promise, we gain inspiration to make a choice for beauty – of heart, character, mind- all of life!

Beware of two extremes that can deceive us in the pursuit of beauty. Some assume all the responsibility for living a life that is pleasing to God, creating crushing burdens of perfectionism. They are obsessed with religious rules, a slave to the Law, living joylessly. Tragically, those who pursue the beauty of the Lord in their own strength tend to become pretenders, unable or unwilling to admit their failures.

At the other end – there are those who refuse their responsibility – mistakenly thinking that God, the Spirit, will just make a beautiful life appear magically. Lacking sustained discipline that creates pathways for the Spirit, that lead to growth and greatness, their life gets cluttered with sin and is marked by an infantile faith.

The interdependence of our daily choice and God’s Spirit are nowhere any more clear than in Romans 8 where we read - "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. … Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. …  Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God. … Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live." (Romans 8:1-2, 5, 12-13, NIV)

Let’s pray for the Spirit to be at work in us, even as we give ourselves to the work of creating beauty. Let’s choose to meet hate with love, division with peace-making, aimlessness with purpose, despair with hope, destruction with restoration – for the glory of our God, ‘Who makes beautiful things!’

Here's a practical word from the Word. Prayerfully read it, understanding that it is not a suggestion, but a Divine Imperative.

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing.
Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable.
Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.
Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you
." (Philippians 4:8-9, NLT)

(Video of this blog at this link)

____________________

Beautiful Things

All this pain,

I wonder if I'll ever find my way?

I wonder if my life could really change,

At all?

All this earth,

Could all that is lost ever be found?

Could a garden come up from this ground,

At all?

You make beautiful things,

You make beautiful things out of the dust.

You make beautiful things,

You make beautiful things out of us.

Hope is springing up from this old ground,

Out of chaos life is being found,

In You.

You make me new, You are making me new!

You make me new, You are making me new!

 

Lisa Gungor | Michael Gungor

© 2009 worshiptogether.com songs (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

CCLI License # 810055

 

No comments: