Wednesday, August 16, 2023

God’s waiting room


It’s been a month of hospitals, doctors, needles, and exams. Waiting rooms are not where I like to be. How about you? I am truly grateful for the care but I’m ready to just get on with life!  Yes, I am growing in compassion for those who live with chronic illness even while I am impatient with my body. Yes, I pray asking my Father to live with grace, to experience peace and patience. It would be nice to report that I always hear His voice and feel His Presence. The truth is on many days there is only silence. I am in “God’s waiting room.”   Yes, my mind knows that "God has a plan," but my heart feels that it is slow in the development. My faith in God is not in jeopardy. I know Him well.  He is working on a different timeline than I would prefer.

Have you lived in an ‘in between’ time, when you waited for answers, wrestled with pain, and prayed to get on with life?   It is not unusual. St. John of the Cross called those moments the "dark night of the soul." I have heard others refer to the "dry desert journeying" when the soul is thirsty for God's love. The tempter attempts to turn our focus to ourselves, to make us feel as though we have caused God's silence, and when he succeeds a sense of false guilt is added to our sorrow! In fact, we cannot always know why God is silent and we have only to hold onto His promises while we wait. David’s declaration invites me to faith. "Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord." (Psalm 27:14, NLT)

I know that there are practical things that I can do while I wait.

I must not forget what He has said to me in the past and in His Word.  Ongoing trials must not cause me to forget to love Him or to love others, the two commands that are the foundation of all the will of God.

I must keep an eternal perspective.  Paul referred to his difficulties as “light and momentary.”  We are eternal beings and if we allow ourselves to forget that fact, we may bring even greater troubles to our lives by seeking some temporary comfort for ourselves in things that are destructive.

I must remember to go - "Steady on, to endure!" This is the directive of the Word for such times. "Mark out a straight path for your feet so that those who are weak and lame will not fall but become strong." (Hebrews 12:13, NLT)

I must let myself know sadness, realizing that it not a lack of faith to know disappointment, even as I guard my heart from bitterness or anger. To question God's seeming absence is no sin. To wonder why we are not able to hear His voice or sense the comfort of the Spirit is quite acceptable. To rail on Him, to accuse Him of being uncaring, unloving, or unjust only creates a place for doubt to flourish and bitterness to take root. The Word warns that from that root of bitterness comes great and troubling discontent!

Are you in a hard time, seemingly stranded in God’s waiting room?  Then, I invite you to pray, with me, for faithfulness! This was what I asked of Him today that He would see my weakness and make it an opportunity to display His power, that He would defend me against the Destroyer and keep me faithful. Ask Him the same. He will do it, for His glory and His own Name's sake. Amen.

Meditate on this song from the Psalm today, our word from the Word. May God give us peace.

"Sing to the LORD, you saints of his; praise his holy name.
For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.

When I felt secure, I said, "I will never be shaken."
O LORD, when you favored me, you made my mountain stand firm;
but when you hid your face, I was dismayed.

To you, O LORD, I called; to the Lord I cried for mercy:
"What gain is there in my destruction, in my going down into the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
Will it proclaim your faithfulness?
Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me; O LORD, be my help."

You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and
clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever." 
(Psalm 30:4-12, NIV)

(Video of this blog at this link)

____________________

Lord I Need You

 

Lord I come I confess

Bowing here I find my rest

And without You I fall apart

You're the one that guides my heart

 

Lord I need You oh I need You

Ev'ry hour I need You

My one defense my righteousness

Oh God how I need You

 

Where sin runs deep Your grace is more

Where grace is found is where You are

And where You are Lord I am free

Holiness is Christ in me

Where You are Lord I am free

Holiness is Christ in me

 

So teach my song to rise to You

When temptation comes my way

And when I cannot stand I'll fall on You

Jesus You're my hope and stay

And when I cannot stand I'll fall on You

Jesus You're my hope and stay

 

Lord I need You oh I need You

Ev'ry hour I need You

My one defense my righteousness

Oh God how I need You

My one defense my righteousness

Oh God how I need You

 

Christy Nockels | Daniel Carson | Jesse Reeves | Kristian Stanfill | Matt Maher

© 2011 sixsteps Music; Sweater Weather Music; Thankyou Music; Valley Of Songs Music; worshiptogether.com songs

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: