Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Dirty Window Syndrome

 

How’s your vision? A young friend of mine recently had an eye exam and was prescribed corrective lens. When he put on his glasses for the first time he looked across the street through the front window and saw the neighbor’s house clearly. He said that he always just thought the windows needed cleaning!  

Many of us are struggling with what I am going to call ‘dirty window syndrome.  We cannot see ahead clearly and we mistakenly conclude that our environment is the problem when, in fact, it is our vision that needs to be corrected. 

Jesus, after a healing a blind born without eyesight, spoke to those around him who suffered from spiritual blindness. “I have come to judge the world. I have come to give sight to the blind and to show those who think they see that they are blind.” (John 9:39, NLT)  He promised to bring clarity of vision to those who would follow Him.  At the heart of His mission is the restoration of our ability to see the reality of life as God sees.

Christian, are you seeing life through God’s eyes?  When we have eyes that are open to spiritual reality, we begin to grasp the 'why' behind the 'what' in life. We were created for more than eating, drinking, and sleeping!  In the turbulent times in which we are living is critically importance that we live with spiritual insight to keep ourselves from being deceived by the mirage of finding security in the things of this present world

There is a story about one of God’s preachers, Elisha, who found himself pursued by an angry king. His servant went out one morning and saw the king’s army surrounding the town and was terrified by the prospect of capture and death. When he reported his fear to Elisha, the old preacher prayed this: “O LORD, open his eyes so he may see.” Then the LORD opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha." (2 Kings 6:17, NIV)  

Dear friend, because of Christ Jesus, we can find safety and security in the embrace of our Father. Not even the natural fear of death itself is a terror for the Believer. We, Scripture says, are no longer "held in slavery by their fear of death." (Hebrews 2:15, NIV) Why? Because we can see beyond the edge of time into eternity!

People without vision merely survive.  They are like that guy in that 1990's Dunkin' Donuts commercial who staggered out the door each morning explaining that it was '... time to make the donuts!' We are made for more than just making the donuts, more than just grinding out another day.  The Word declares that "we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." (Ephesians 2:10, NLT) I pray that vision is renewed in me, in you, in these opening days of 2021.  May He cause us to see His vision, give us courage to own it, and faith to live brightly, children of the Heavenly Father.

Here's a word from the Word for you today.  It comes from a preacher with a strange name – Habbakuk. The people of God were under siege from their powerful neighbor.  That God would allow the godless Babylonians to destroy Jerusalem made little sense to natural eyes!  He cries out for revelation. Are you wondering about today, trying to find purpose in life? Take this promise.

"Then the LORD replied:

“Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it.
For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false.
Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.

“See, he is puffed up; his desires are not upright— but the righteous will live by his faith" (Habakkuk 2:2-4, NIV)

_______________________

Be Thou My Vision

Be Thou my vision
O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me

Save that Thou art
Thou my best thought

By day or by night
Waking or sleeping

Thy presence my light

Be Thou my Wisdom and
Thou my true Word
I ever with Thee and
Thou with me Lord
Thou my great Father
I Thy true son
Thou in me dwelling and
I with Thee one
 

High King of heaven
When vict'ry is won

May I reach heaven's joys
O bright heaven's Sun

Heart of my own heart
Whatever befall

Still be my vision
O Ruler of all

Eleanor Henrietta Hull | Mary Elizabeth Byrne

© Words: Public Domain

No comments: