Friday, January 15, 2021

Are you an influencer?

Influencers. These persons work to position themselves on social media to direct followers to products. If a person can attract a few thousand followers on social media, her marketing influence becomes valuable, increasing in value with each new follower. The explosion of users (around 4 billion people) of YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, and Facebook creates opportunities for micro-marketing, which has proven amazingly effective. 

Christians have always been influencers although not with a personal profit motive. The presence of the Spirit in us should change our lives, creating a quality that makes His Gospel attractive.  Christian, does the thought of representing Jesus leave you feeling inadequate?

A pastor brought an electrical engineer to church to conduct an experiment. "We turned off all the lights, hooked up an ordinary pickle to some wires, and then passed an electrical current through it. The pickle glowed! It gave light to a room. Many people believe that the flow of the Holy Spirit is reserved for spiritual giants. but, throughout history God has caused His power to flow through the most unlikely people; a prostitute named Rahab, a con man named Jacob, and a cheat named Zacchaeus. So the next time you're feeling inadequate, remember that even a pickle can glow if it stays plugged in to the flow of power." (John Ortberg, God Is Closer Than You Think)  I have read that little story many times and each time, after I laugh, I feel renewed confidence that God can use me to do His work. 

Representing Christ is a high calling for which my natural abilities and skills are unequal! I quickly identify with Paul's question- "who is equal to such a task?" (2 Cor. 2:16)  I know, too well, my failures, inconsistencies, and fears. But, it is not about me. In fact, God invests the treasure of His grace and Spirit in "jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." (2 Corinthians 4:7, NIV)  Dear friend, while we do not revel in our failures, we can honestly acknowledge our weakness and lean hard on the Lord.  It is at that point that God can use us for 'when we are weak, He is strong!'

At the end of His earthly work Jesus called together that all-too-ordinary people to take His Message to the ends of the earth.  Oh how I love the promise made to those men, that is for us, too. "I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high." (Luke 24:49, NIV) Luke continues the story (Acts 2) telling us that a few days later, the Holy Spirit fell in that Upper Room. When He rested on those men and women they did experience a profound change, empowered for the Kingdom life. No, they did not become super-humans. They were not flawless, fail-proof, or above mistakes.  But, they were increasingly filled with the character of Christ, persistent in faith, and hopeful above all. The Holy Spirit made them influencers who “turned the world upside down” in a generation! 

Christianity has not survived for 2000 years
because of the greatness of Believers, but because of the faithfulness of God
.

Are you feeling a little overwhelmed by life today, wondering if you're up to doing anything useful for the Lord?
Are you discouraged by what appears to be more problems than answers, more need than resource?

Confess your need. Humbly lean on Him; dependent on His power. Wait to be empowered, expecting the Spirit to come. Those first disciples waited in the Upper Room for days. God, the Holy Spirit, came in HIS time, not theirs!

And, don’t forget that even a pickle glows when it's plugged into a current. (smile)

Here's a word from the Word.  It my favorite passage of Scripture. Soak up the promise.  I pray "that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us
, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." (Ephesians 3:17-21, NIV)

 Immeasurably more!

__________________

Goodness Of God
(worship along with CeCe Winans)

 

I love You Lord

Oh Your mercy never fails me

All my days

I've been held in Your hands

From the moment that I wake up

Until I lay my head

I will sing of the goodness of God

 

All my life You have been faithful

All my life You have been so so good

With every breath that I am able

I will sing of the goodness of God

 

I love Your voice

You have led me through the fire

In darkest night

You are close like no other

I've known You as a father

I've known You as a friend

I have lived in the goodness of God

 

Your goodness is running after

It’s running after me

Your goodness is running after

It’s running after me

With my life laid down

I’m surrendered now

I give You everything

Your goodness is running after

It's running after me

 

Ben Fielding | Brian Johnson | Ed Cash | Jason Ingram | Jenn Johnson

 

© 2018 Alletrop Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

SHOUT! Music Publishing Australia (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

Fellow Ships Music (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)

So Essential Tunes (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)

 

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: