Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Truth? Does it exist?

 


 Trust in authority has taken near fatal hits in recent months, at least for me. Who can I trust? What is true?  We all know how to deal with ‘spin,’ which is presenting the ‘facts’ in the way that best supports the position for which we are an advocate. Currently, what we are experiencing is more than spin. Facts seem to shift depending on the winds of public opinion and the manipulation of the media.  The tragic result, at least in my life, is the development of an awful cynicism about public figures and authority.  I question most everyone and everything and it is an unpleasant way to live. God help me to find a better way.

Christian, we must be people who are committed to the truth.  Do you know that you can avoid speaking falsehoods and still be less than honest? If we work to create an impression, if we allow others to form wrong conclusions that are encouraged by a wink or a nod, we are living a lie even if our words are technically true. Truth, as a word, is fairly easy to define. Truth is the actual state of a matter, conformity with fact. Living truthfully is much more difficult.   

One of the great tragedies of America today is our willingness to assign motives, to assume we know the content of another’s heart. When someone says or does something we find offensive, we tend to turn them into a villain, the whole of their life defined by a single statement or a moment.  Oh how we need to realize anew that each one of us is a mixture of motives, that we are human beings capable of being wonderful and awful in the same day.

 One of the most honest things we can say is this - “I don’t know.”  When we get caught up in thorny issues – pandemic policies, political issues, or a plethora of other questions – we do not always have to ‘be right’ or have a set opinion. We need not rush to judge another, be quick to condemn or acquit, or choose a side!

When we say “I just don’t know,” it lets us listen and learn.  Genuine humility will lead us to acknowledge that in many situations, perhaps most, we just do not have ‘all the facts.’  To assume that we do leads us to judge and frankly, makes fools of us on too many occasions. No wonder Jesus cautions us about taking God’s place and says, “Stop judging others, and you will not be judged. For others will treat you as you treat them. Whatever measure you use in judging others, it will be used to measure how you are judged." (Matthew 7:1-2, NLT)

When we walk with God, when we create an open heart to His Presence, there is a promise He gives. Jesus said of the Holy Spirit "when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come." (John 16:13, NIV)  Yes, He will reveal what is best and true to us. 

We need not live in confusion, allowing the chaos born of our current controversies to own us. Why?  Because God, the Spirit, will give us ‘the mind of Christ.’  (2 Cor. 2.13)  Think of Jesus as He was dragged before Pilate, questioned, judged unfairly, sentenced to death. In spite of the lies and the hate, He knew Who He was, what His mission was, and remained steady through it all.

Let’s pray to be like that: not detached, but engaged with hope; not quick to judge, but patient; people who love the truth even when it means saying, “I don’t have that answer!”

Do you love the truth?  Is your life characterized by honesty, authenticity?  Do you refuse to become a part of the image-building and public posturing that fills this age?  Living in that way will not necessarily win any popularity contests.  Jesus confronted the world with the truth and they killed Him for it!   But, letting truth shape your life from the inside out will make you whole and holy, a person who has the ‘mind of Christ’ in this world.  Resting on the Truth we will live lovingly, people who are capable of creating peace. 

Here's a word from the Word for your thoughts today:  
"Let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one." (Matthew 5:37, NKJV)  

No spin, no quick judgments- just the Truth!

_______________

Truth I'm Standing On
(Listen and let faith grow!)

 

Scared

Oh I thought I knew scared

But I’m so filled with fear that I can barely move

 

Doubt

I’ve had my share of doubts

But never more than right now

I’m wondering where are you

 

Here on the edge of fall apart

Somehow you’re promises

Find my troubled heart

 

This is the truth I’m standing on

Even when all my strength is gone

You are faithful forever and

I know you’ll never let me fall

Right now I’m choosing to believe

That someday soon I’ll look back and see

All the pain had a purpose

Your plan was perfect all along

 

This is the truth I’m standing on

Even when all my strength is gone

You are faithful forever and

I know you’ll never let me fall

Right now I’m choosing to believe

That someday soon I’ll look back and see

All the pain had a purpose

Your plan was perfect all along

This is the truth I’m standing on

 

Good I believe you’re still good

Even when life’s not good

I’m clinging to this hope

That the God who parts the sea

Promises that he will make a way for me

 

You’re my rock my shield my firm foundation

I know I will not be shaken

You remind me where my help comes from

 

Andrew Jacob Pruis | Leanna Crawford | Matthew West

© Combustion Five (Admin. by Me Gusta Music LLC)

Third Story House Music (Admin. by Me Gusta Music LLC)

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: