Friday, September 25, 2015

Just 3 Questions that will change your life

“Breaking my neck in an auto accident … caused me to reexamine my marriage my faith, and how I planned to spend the rest of my years.  As I lay strapped to a backboard awaiting word on whether a major artery had been punctured – in which case… I had mere minutes to live – I could only think of three questions worth pondering:  Who do I love? What have I done with my life? Am I ready for whatever comes next?”  (The Question That Never Goes Away, Why?,  2013, Zondervan, Philip Yancey)   That paragraph would not leave my mind after I read it.
Who do I love?
Jesus told us the right answer for that question. ”Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” (Matthew 22:37-39, NIV)  Most Christians learned that in the first days of their Sunday School or discipleship classes. But, do we put those two loves in the first place of daily life?  When the end is near, I do not think that loving your motorcycle, your reputation, or your pleasure will be enough, do you?
What have I done with my life?
Legacy is a word I think about from time to time.  My name will not grace a bridge or library! It won’t even be a footnote in history books. But, is that really what the question is about? Jesus taught that the real work is done for people, building lives!  At the Judgment some will this: “Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.”  Will it be because they have built great cathedrals, written dozens of books, or amassed a fortune?  I think you already know the answer, don’t you? “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ . . . ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’” (Matthew 25:40, NIV)  He is saying – put people first!
The work of Jesus is not reserved for pastors and those employed by charitable organizations. His work of building people is in great demand in your neighborhood, extended family, and place of employment, too.  We are tempted to think that there will be another season in life when ‘service’ will be easier, when there will be fewer demands of us.  “The tyranny of the urgent will keep us from doing the important things” unless we let the Spirit show us the world around us through His eyes.
Am I ready for whatever comes next?
I know what is next – eternity!  Jesus stood with Lazarus’ sisters and told them (and us) this: “I am, right now, Resurrection and Life. The one who believes in me, even though he or she dies, will live. And everyone who lives believing in me does not ultimately die at all.”  For some even the thought of dying is grim, frightening, to be avoided at all costs. How foolish that is.  Mortality is a fact. 100% of people die.  The fear is removed by the promise of eternal life.  I hope your assurance is not misplaced in church membership, baptism, or personal morality.  Each of those choices are commendable.  The door of Heaven will not open to us because of what we have done. Our ‘welcome home’ is based on Who we know! Jesus said, “I am the Road, also the Truth, also the Life.”  (John 14)  Do you know Him beyond the walls of your church, in a way that goes deeper than the creed, as Savior, Lord, and Master?
Yancey’s revelation came in a crisis and he has been blessed with additional years to refine the answers to those questions.  I do not want to wait until I’m staring at the finish line to ask them, do you? I want to live today as if it were the last one here on earth – no loving word left unspoken, no time wasted on sin or selfishness, passionately seeking to know my Savior.
The word from the Word sums it up:
“Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.” (1 John 3:1-3, NKJV)
“We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death.” (1 John 3:14, NKJV)
“My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him. For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things.” (1 John 3:18-20, NKJV)  “And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.” (1 John 3:23, NKJV)
_______________
I went sky divin’!
I went rocky mountain climbing!
I went 2.7 seconds
On a bull named Fu Man Chu!
And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,
And gave forgiveness I’d been denying.

And he said “Some day I hope you get the chance
To live like you were dying!”
Like tomorrow was a gift,
And you’ve got eternity to think about.
What you’d do with it?
What did I do with it?
  • Tim McGraw
Live Like You Were Dying

No comments: