Wednesday, September 23, 2015

When prayers are hard and words fail




In the quiet darkness of the early morning, I prayed …  well, I tried to pray.  My habit, in those first moments the day, is to offer simple prayers about the immediate concerns of the particular day, the needs of the people I know.  Those ‘first light prayers’ come more from my heart than my mind. But this morning, I awakened to stormy emotions: anger, raw and unfocused; sorrow that rested like a boulder on my chest.  I wanted to pray but there were no words that seemed right.  So, I simply breathed “Jesus,” that Name, again and again.

The Spirit directs us to "Pray without ceasing!" (1 Thess. 5:17) In obedience to Him, we can discipline our heart and focus outside of our pain or preoccupation.  We can overcome the tumultuous emotions, the hiss of the Devil, and the sneers of the world that try to keep us from talking with our Abba.  When God says, "pray all the time,” He is not asking us to only say nice prayers, or short prayers, or long prayers, or beautiful prayers.   God wants us to keep those lines of communication open.  Prayers, even the fumbling ones, even the simplest “Jesus,”  allows us to enter the sweet fellowship that is the one thing we need most to quiet our fearful hearts and calm our angry minds!

In another passage, the Word instructs us that we must not "worry about anything, but pray about everything. With thankful hearts offer up your prayers and requests to God. Then, because you belong to Christ Jesus, God will bless you with peace that no one can completely understand. And this peace will control the way you think and feel." (Philippians 4:6-7, CEV)

When prayer is difficult, there things we can (should I say must?) do.

Use the words of another!
When words fail me, I turn to the Psalms or a borrow a song.  An old hymn came to my mind as I tried to shape tumbling feelings into coherent prayer this morning. 
From the far recesses of my memories, I could hear the echoes of the voice of Ethel Waters singing:
"When the storms of life are raging, stand by me.
When the storms of life are raging, stand by me.
When the world is pounding me, like a ship upon the sea;
Lord who rules the wind and water, stand by me."

Let others pray for you!
Pick up the phone and ask a friend to lead as you murmur in agreement.  In church, ask a circle of friends to carry you to the Lord and soak in their prayers as you listen.

Pray simply, using a single phrase!
When tempted, I might pray over and over, "Purify my heart."
When standing near a suffering saint, I sometimes repeat, "Lord, have mercy."
Even the name of Jesus, whispered to Him reverently, again and again, is a prayer.

Let the Spirit lead!
We can kneel and be still.  We can stand and open our hands to receive from Him, a wordless expression of prayer.  We whisper, “come, Holy Spirit,” and wait. The Word gives this promise of His Advocacy on our behalf. "The Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will." (Romans 8:26-27, NLT)

When we pray, we open up our lives to the power of God and, in ways that defy our understanding, we become co-laborers in His work of building His Kingdom here on earth. Pray first, not last. Pray often, not seldom. Pray boldly, not tentatively. Pray faithfully, knowing that He is faithful, even when you cannot discern His ways or hear His voice.

Here are some words from the Word.  Oh, may the Spirit of God make them His Living Words for us today.

"But now, Lord, what do I look for?
My hope is in you. Hear my prayer, O LORD, listen to my cry for help; be not deaf to my weeping.
For I dwell with you as an alien, a stranger, as all my fathers were."
(Psalm 39:12, NIV)

"You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle.
You have recorded each one in your book."
(Psalm 56:8, NLT)
"I will fulfill my vows to you, O God, and will offer a sacrifice of thanks for your help.
For you have rescued me from death; you have kept my feet from slipping.
So now I can walk in your presence, O God, in your life-giving light."
(Psalm 56:12-13, NLT)
____________

Sweet Hour Of Prayer

Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer,
That calls me from a world of care,
And bids me at my Father's throne,
Make all my wants and wishes known.
In seasons of distress and grief,
My soul has often found relief.
And oft escaped the tempter's snare,
By thy return, sweet hour of prayer.

Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer,
Thy wings shall my petition bear,
To Him whose truth and faithfulness,
Engage the waiting soul to bless.
And since He bids me seek His face,
Believe His Word and trust His grace,
I'll cast on Him my ev'ry care,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer.


William Batchelder Bradbury | William W. Walford
© Words: Public Domain


Jerry D. Scott, Pastor
FAITH DISCOVERY CHURCH
www.FaithDiscovery.com

No comments: