Monday, September 21, 2015

Clear vision?



Keep your vision sharp!

Scott Harrison was a nightclub promoter in New York City for a decade. He writes I was “for the most part living selfishly and arrogantly. Desperately unhappy, I needed to change. Faced with spiritual bankruptcy, I wanted desperately to revive a lost Christian faith.” He volunteered to serve with a medical missions agency (Mercy Ships) in East Africa and saw, first hand, how miserable life was for people without access to clean water.  Something we Americans never give a second thought- fresh, clean water - can make the difference between life and death.  Harrison saw a need and a vision formed in in his mind. He founded charitywater,  an agency that connects donors with projects to provide water to people in impoverished nations.  (Read Scott’s story)  Vision is what causes us to sacrifice, to reach higher, to achieve great things.  How’s your vision, Christian friend?

The Word tells us “Where there is no vision, the people perish."  (Proverbs 29:18, KJV) The Message puts it this way: "If people can’t see what God is doing, they stumble all over themselves; but when they attend to what he reveals, they are most blessed." (Proverbs 29:18, The Message)

Visions are powerful, yet fragile.   They motivate people to change, but they die without constant tending.  The Lord calls us to faith and reminds us that without it we cannot 'see' His vision for life. Lacking vision, we will not fulfil His purpose in life. What a tragedy it is to go through a whole lifetime, eyes to the ground, seeing only the dust underfoot.  “Lift your eyes!”  Pray for sight. Gaze on His beauty in worship. Be inspired by great art. Listen to stories like that of Scott Harrison.  Start to serve, using the gifts of the Spirit, where you are.

Jesus warned us that a kind of blindness can overtake us without us being aware of it. He offers "salve to put on your eyes, so you can see." (Revelation 3:17-18, NIV)  One day in Samaria, the men traveling with Him wondered why He was in such a forsaken place. "Open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35, NIV)  His vision allowed Him to see opportunity where they only saw desolation!

What vision has God given to you?
Are you keeping it sharp, tending it, actively pursuing the Spirit’s gifts to turn that vision into reality?

Here is a word from the Word -
“I will pour out my Spirit upon all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy.
Your old men will dream dreams.
Your young men will see visions.
In those days, I will pour out my Spirit even on servants, men and women alike."
(Joel 2:28-29, NLT)
_________

Father, give me VISION that sees the promise, the possible, and not just the probable.
Heal my eyes so that I can see into eternity, heading for the Promised Land.
When I start to love my food, my TV, my comfort - more than I love You, Your callings -
forgive me and send me healing with the salve of faith and revelation that renew spiritual vision.
Make my life a credit to the Kingdom,
my choices a reflection of Your wonderful beauty.
In the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: