Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Doing Deals with God



Missionaries came to our little church a lot when I was a kid. 
After we heard their stories and watched their slide show, we sang "I go where you want me to go, dear Lord; I'll say what you want me to say, I be what you want me to be..."  I saw tears in the eyes of my Mom and Dad who had followed God’s call from cornfields in Iowa to New York City’s poorest neighborhoods. In my mind’s eye as a 10 year old, that song brought on nightmares that God’s will for me would include going to live in a hut in a jungle, far from people I loved, eating weird food.  

As much as I admired Joe Missionary’s calling, I tried doing deals with God in my mind... "Sure, Lord, I want to go where You send me …. but- how ‘bout here, not there,  a little closer to home, where they have real food? Pulllleeeeeze- don't ask me to go there!" That childish response makes me chuckle now, even as I recall the very real emotions of that time.

I’d like to say that I always embrace the call of God, His will for today, with immediate obedience and great joy. I don’t!  No, I don’t worry about a hut in the jungle anymore but I do  sometimes struggle with situations that are not to my liking.  Here’s what I know to be true – the center of the will of God is a place of satisfaction and joy.   When I quickly agree with Him, when I let go of my own desires and practice acceptance, a wonderful peace finds its way into my life.

Do you believe that the will of God is the gateway to fulfillment, that the purpose of God is the way of joy?  Or, is your relationship with God shaped by fear, your obedience given grudging because of fear of punishment rather than anticipation of His reward?  That kid that tried to do deals with God in Sunday night missionary services was ONLY willing to consider God's will because he thought something terrible would happen if he didn't.  Just like many people I serve as a pastor today, I believed ‘doing God’s will’ always meant misery.  So why consider it?  Because, I wrongly thought, I would avoid greater miseries of perpetual poverty, early death, or zits only if I took up the call to misery!

Jesus does call us to deny ourselves for the sake of His kingdom.  The Word does speak of putting Self to death but, it isn’t because God is a sadist Who likes to see us squirm, who is  testing our love and loyalty. The Will of God is the path of life to the full, now and for Eternity. His will wraps around all of our experiences, the gifts of the Spirit He’s invested in us, our opportunities, and our personality.  In His all knowing wisdom, there is a path created that leads us maximize our potential to live for His glory. He asks us to trust and say, ‘yes, Lord.’  While He is not interested in granting our every fantasy, yet He loves us deeply and desires the very best for each one of us.  Jesus pled with his disciples to reframe their view of God as a benevolent Father who already has prepared good gifts for His children. Even in circumstances that appear miserable to someone looking in from the outside, He can keep us joyful and at rest. The Lord’s idea of success is far different because He factors in eternity! He will make us into a Heavenly success story.  I know that the center of His is where I will find intimacy with God, a blessing that knows no equal!  Jesus tells us "If you keep my commands, you’ll remain intimately at home in my love. That’s what I’ve done—kept my Father’s commands and made myself at home in his love. “I’ve told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature." (John 15:10-11, The Message)

Some are called to serve Him in obscurity, some in fame. Some are sent to the far side of the globe, others to their hometown. Some are given great responsibility, others serve but a few. There is no need to compare, for our service is by His sovereign will! Paul illustrates this for a young pastor named Timothy. "In a wealthy home some utensils are made of gold and silver, and some are made of wood and clay. The expensive utensils are used for special occasions, and the cheap ones are for everyday use. If you keep yourself pure, you will be a utensil God can use for his purpose. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work." 2 Timothy 2:20-21

So, disciple, are you still trying to ‘serve God’ while holding onto your own plans?
Are you trying to play a sophisticated game of “Let’s Make A Deal” with Him, setting limits on where, what, or with whom you will serve?

Here’s an invitation from Him. Prayerfully ask the Spirit of God to make these words live for you as He draws you into His will and shows you His plan for this day. "Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. … You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name." (John 15:4-5, 16 NIV)
____________________________

It may not be on the mountain's height
Or over the stormy sea,
It may not be at the battle's front
My Lord will have need of me;
But if by a still, small voice He calls
To paths I do not know,
I'll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in Thine,
I'll go where You want me to go.

I'll go where You want me to go, dear Lord.
Over mountain or plain or sea.
I'll say what You want me to say, dear Lord,
I'll be what You want me to be.

There's surely somewhere a lowly place
In earth's harvest fields so wide,
Where I may labor through life's short day
for Jesus the crucified;
So, trusting my all unto Thy care,
I know Thou lovest me;
I'll do Thy will with a heart sincere,
I'll be what You want me to be.

I'll go where You want me to go, dear Lord.
Over mountain or plain or sea.
I'll say what You want me to say, dear Lord,
I'll be what You want me to be.

I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go –
Mary Brown /Charles E. Prior /Carrie E. Rounsefell
© Public Domain

No comments: