Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Road trips and power naps


Road trips are a ton of fun for me. How about you?  One of the more memorable weeks in my life was one in the Summer of 2010 when Bev and I drove from Los Angeles to New Jersey.  But, on those trips, I have a moment ‘round 2 in the afternoon each day.  I get so tired and sleepy.  There’s just one remedy;  pull into a rest stop and take a 10 minute power nap.  Bev is always amazed that I can pull over, put my seat back, fall asleep in 10 seconds and awaken a few minutes later feeling so refreshed. Life has been a kind of ‘road trip’ recently. 

This morning, I opened my Bible and tried to read. I saw the words on the page, but they were just words.  I did not have the energy to engage, to process them. No, it is not a crisis of faith, nor is it the loss of mental acuity.  (smile) I'm just tired! For many weeks, I have not been able to hit the 'off' button for any real breaks. In such times, being a ‘doer’ by nature my inclination is to push harder, to try to go faster, to get it all done.  God's wisdom has taught me that He creates ‘rest stops,’  inviting us to find renewal – even while He tells we must endure, patiently pace ourselves, and  wait on His will to be revealed.

Since my mind resisted study of the Word this morning, I turned to a familiar passage, one filled with promise and hope. Here it is:  "Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40:28-31, NIV)

Fatigue is dangerous!  When I’m on a road trip I know that if I keep driving when I’m nodding off, I could kill myself and/or somebody else.  It’s just plain dumb to try to deny the reality.  Friend, when we are tired, we can say cruel things, reach wrong conclusions, making a wreck of life.  When we are exhausted, we are much more likely to experience the tug of temptation as we see what looks like certain relief in things we know are not in the will of God for us.  When we're really exhausted, we might even become open to the lie that God does not care, that He is not listening.  Pull over! Take a break!

What does God ask of us in those moments? Does He say, “Go faster, work harder?”  No! He says, that "those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength." (Isaiah 40:31, NIV) That phrase is translated in various ways in different Bible versions. In place of 'hope,' some translation say 'wait.' Others say 'trust.' The Hebrew of the original text being expectation,  anticipation; hence to “wait hopefully!” Since that is God's counsel, we would be wise to let it speak to us, wouldn't we?

Are you tired today? Me, too.  So, let’s find a rest stop and 'wait' for Him.’  There is no shame in taking a break to find a quiet place alone with God. There we create a quiet heart; we listen carefully, we murmur words of worship.  I can assure you from experience - there will be 'fresh strength!'  Isaiah beautiful picture is that of an eagle that soars on the air currents under his wings.  “Spirit of God, may your gentle Wind blow over me, helping me to rise up, to soar when others sink.”
________

Sweet Wind

There's a wind a-blowin'
All across the land.
A fragrant breeze of heaven,
Blowin' once again.
Don't know where it comes from,
Don't know where it goes,
But let it blow over me.
Oh, Sweet Wind,
Come and blow over me.


There's a rain a-pourin'
Showers from above.
Mercy drops are comin'
Mercy drops of love.
Turn your face to heaven,
Let the water pour,
Well, let it pour over me.
Oh, Sweet Rain,
Come and pour over me.

There's a fire burnin'
Fallin' from the sky.
Awesome tongues of fire
Consuming you and I.
Can you feel it burnin'
Burn the sacrifice?
Well, let it burn over me
Oh, Sweet Fire,
Come and burn over me.

David Ruis
© 1994 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing (Admin. by Vineyard Music USA)
Vineyard Songs Canada (Admin. by Vineyard Music USA)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: