Thursday, June 26, 2014

Why do you choose to do what you do?



 I love my calling to serve a local congregation as their pastor.  If I could, I would work for free! Why?  Because my heart is in this; it's my life. I believe in the Church. She holds the key to making a better world and the answer to the spiritual hunger of every human being. I have a passion for the Gospel of Christ.  If you talk with me for more than a few moments,  you're going to hear about two things- my family and the church!   Because those loves are deep in my heart, they surface quickly in my conversation. 

Let’s take that idea and shift it to our Christianity.
What do you love most?

I had the opportunity to talk with a man yesterday about his spiritual journey. He attended a Lutheran church as a child. When he was a teenager he told me that ‘I got saved and baptized.”  Then, life went off the rails and he ended up joining the Marines. “It was,” he told me, “the Marines or prison so I chose to learn some discipline.” Now he’s married and attends a Roman Catholic church with his wife.  “I like the tradition and stability of that church,” he said. I did not sense that serving Christ was something that engaged him ‘today.’ It was only about hoping to get to Heaven. 

Why are you a Christian?  How do you serve Christ and His kingdom?

For some Christianity is about getting to Heaven, hoping Jesus will keep them out of trouble with God, the Father.  Dallas Willard wrote this wry comment: "Some Christians are better prepared to die than they are to live!"  Their faith is not shaped around loving Jesus Christ. There is no conviction that the purpose of life is found in knowing Jesus. Consequently, they participate in Christianity at a minimal level hoping to appease God.  This kind of spirituality steals joy in both worlds!  Fear of judgment does not allow that person to enjoy making money, seeking pleasure, and feeding their sensual appetites but they don't enjoy a close walk with the Spirit of God that provides satisfaction.

Are you torn between the desire to do your own thing and to live for God? Are you trying to straddle the fence – serving Self and then, when guilt comes, pleading with God for forgiveness?   The Spirit and the Word put it to us straight - "Choose now!"   “Honor the Lord and serve him wholeheartedly. Put away forever the idols your ancestors worshiped when they lived beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt. Serve the Lord alone. But if you are unwilling to serve the Lord, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.”" (Joshua 24:14-15, NLT)

This challenge occurs repeatedly in the Bible.    

Moses, in his final address to Israel, laid out the 'blessings' and 'curses.' He reminds the people of God of their choices and consequences.  

Elijah stood before the king and leaders of Israel at Mt. Carmel and threw down this challenge - “How long are you going to sit on the fence? If God is the real God, follow him; if it’s Baal (a god worshipped by the Canaanite people), follow him. Make up your minds!” (1 Kings 18:21, The Message)

Christian, if you want to know how to live the best life possible right  now, give your heart to Jesus, passionately and without reservation.  

Make Him first - in your affections, in your priorities of time use, in your finances. Love for God is about choices practical today things. IF we choose Him, place our affections on Him, we will find great joy in the offering of ourselves.   His love will grow in us.

Here's a word from the Word to ponder today - 1 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. 14 I will be found by you,” says the Lord.”  (Je 29:11-14 NLT)  Jesus says, “Look! Here I stand at the door and knock. If you hear me calling and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal as friends." (Revelation 3:20, NLT)  

May our Christianity prepare us to live, not just to die!
__________________________

This is the air I breathe,
This is the air I breathe,
Your Holy Presence living in me.
This is my Daily Bread,
This is my Daily Bread,
Your very word spoken to me.

And I, I'm desp'rate for You.
And I, I'm lost without You.
© 1995 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing (Admin. by Music Services)   CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: