Friday, June 14, 2013

Are you an idolater?



Few Christians would consider themselves idol-worshippers.  They don’t have any shrines to gods in their homes, no golden figures or pictures of strange beings to which they attach divine characteristics. The idol question is never even considered.  “Idols?” they say, “Not my problem!” 

Or are they?  What is elevated in your life?  From what or whom do ask satisfaction or security?

Worship is not just singing in church or saying prayers with the congregation. Worship is the act of giving worth.  Is the idol question coming into clearer focus as you think about that definition?  Idols can take many forms.  Do you work hard at keeping your reputation stellar so that others will respect and/or love you?  Are you endlessly anxious about your children?  Do you spend more time on keeping your body fit than seeking godliness?  Do you obsess over your landscaped yard?  Does the thought of having money consume your waking thoughts? 

In addition to being a major offense to the Lord who deserves our whole-heartedly worship, idolatry has a personal consequence. The runaway prophet, Jonah, worshipped his own security and safety more than his God. His idols brought about his destruction. In belly of a great fish, which a merciful God provided to preserve his life, he came to realize the cost of misplaced worship. “When my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, LORD, and my prayer rose to you, to your holy temple. “Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs. But I, with a song of thanksgiving, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. Salvation comes from the LORD.” (Jonah 2:7-9, NIV)  When we elevate something above the one true God, we, not He, cut off the flow of His mercies that would make us whole.

He has prepared gifts of peace, real and deep serenity, for us.  There is security that extends beyond the grave available that we can own in a world others know as chaotic and unpredictable.  Christians often wonder why He withholds those things from them.  In fact, He holds them out for them, but they cannot take them because an idol stands in the way! They are trying to get the ‘abundant life’ Jesus promises from something or someone they have made their god. “Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs.”

Tearing down our idols is much more difficult than it might seem at first.  We get very attached to our gods, though we would not generally call them that.  We learn to rationalize, excuse, and justify our choices.  Throughout the Old Testament, the people of the living God, constantly ran after the idols of the nations that surrounded them.  Times of spiritual renewal came, the idols were destroyed, and the pure worship of God restored.  But, within a generation the false gods were brought back.  When those shrines were built, they turned away from the very God that would save them.

Take this word, dear Christian, to heart today.  May Isaiah’s warning cause us to trust the Living God completely, to worship Him with our whole heart.
"This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: “In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it. You said, ‘No, we will flee on horses.’ Therefore you will flee! You said, ‘We will ride off on swift horses.’ Therefore your pursuers will be swift!" (Isaiah 30:15-16, NIV)
___________

My Burdens Rolled Away

I remember when my burdens rolled away.
I had carried them for years, night and day.
When I sought the blessed Lord,
And I took Him at His word,
Then, at once, all my burdens rolled away.

I remember when my burdens rolled away,
That I feared would never leave, night or day.
Jesus showed to me the loss,
So I left them at the cross,
I was glad when my burdens rolled away.

Rolled away! Rolled away!
I am happy since my burdens rolled away.
Rolled away! Rolled away!
I am happy since my burdens rolled away.

Minnie A. Steele
Public Domain

No comments: