Monday, June 17, 2013

Nailed down or help in His hands?


When life is rushing along at full speed, like it does most days, decisions come along demanding my response. “What’s right? What wrong? Do I choose that or this, go here or there?”  As I write this my mind is weighing an important question and I want to make the wise decision in my answer. Do I just ‘follow my gut feelings’ or make the most expedient choice?  As a Christian I am doubly blessed, given the wisdom of the Word and the Presence of the Spirit.

Isaiah reminds us that there is security found in just One.  Read on.  "The craftsmen rush to make new idols. The carver hurries the goldsmith, and the molder helps at the anvil. “Good,” they say. “It’s coming along fine.” Carefully they join the parts together, then fasten the thing in place so it won’t fall over.  “But as for you, Israel my servant, Jacob my chosen one, descended from my friend Abraham, I have called you back from the ends of the earth so you can serve me. For I have chosen you and will not throw you away. Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand." (Isaiah 41:7-10, NLT)

There are two ways to live set in contrast here. If we make our own god, we are on our own in the quest for security.  Idols don’t hold us up, we must  nail them down!  But, if we receive the offer that God makes to own us, He ‘will strengthen… help… and uphold with my right hand!”  

Are you shaping your own god and expecting that tin idol to show you the way to live?  In fact that idol will not settle you; you will find yourself trying to prop it up: "pounding in nails at the base so that the thing won’t tip over. " (Isaiah 41:7, The Message)  Go to the True God, the Lord of Eternity, and seek Him. "As for God, his way is perfect. All the Lord’s promises prove true. He is a shield for all who look to him for protection. For who is God except the Lord? Who but our God is a solid rock? God arms me with strength; he has made my way safe. He makes me as surefooted as a deer, leading me safely along the mountain heights." (Psalm 18:30-33, NLT)
_____________

All Creatures Of Our God And King

All creatures of our God and King,
Lift up your voice and with us sing.
Alleluia, alleluia!
Thou burning sun with golden beam,
Thou silver moon with softer gleam,
O praise Him O praise Him,
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.

And all ye men of tender heart,
Forgiving others take your part.
O sing ye, alleluia!
Ye who long pain and sorrow bear,
Praise God and on Him cast your care.
O praise Him, O praise Him.
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!

St. Francis of Assisi | William Henry Draper
Public Domain

No comments: