Friday, April 08, 2011

Complex World, Simple Faith

Here are the truths that are the core of my life:

  1. God, the Creator, governs the world.
  2. I can know Him because of Jesus Christ, His Son, who is my Lord and Savior.
  3. The Holy Spirit lives in me, empowering me to serve His purposes.
It is a simple faith but I am not ashamed to admit that wrestle with doubts daily. Things like cancer and human cruelty in all its various forms, beg me to question God's power and presence. If I listen to the nagging negative voices, I grow confused. I cannot make decisions. Life stalls! So, for me, the choice is made - I belong to God and, by His grace, I will continue to love and serve Him for the rest of my days. Like Joshua who led the Israelites into their Promised Land, I say: "Choose today whom you will serve. … But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15, NLT)

Is your ‘faith’ more like a complicated contract than a simple statement? 

Once I struggled mightily to make faith 'fit' the complexity of the world around me. I wanted answers and explanations. My prayers often formed around the question - 'why?' I now enjoy a deep abiding sense of God's Presence in this world. It is not that my life has become simpler! If anything, it is even more complex now than ever. I carry a greater load of responsibility for more people and a larger organization than I have at any time. Decisions that I make or in which I am a participant have a direct effect on the lives of others. That is, at least partially, why I have come to a faith that is more distilled around this core truth- Jesus cares and loves me, therefore, I can love and care for others.

I no longer try to negotiate with God, nor do I feel any need to beg for His favor. I am convinced that "God is for me, not against me." I live in the confidence that nothing that comes my way is too big for Him, will surprise Him, or can overcome His gracious love. Am I a simpleton who lacks a grasp of the possibilities for pain or disappointment that exist all around me? Not at all.  I am still very much part of this world which is, 'with devils filled and threatens to undo us!' (Martin Luther)  An overarching truth secures me. I am a subject of the King whose power has triumphed over sin, Hell, and death. I set my hope in Christ Jesus of whom I say - "I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day." (2 Timothy 1:12-14, NIV)

Choose simple faith.

From the Word, understand the core Truth of God's eternal nature, of the triumph of Christ, and of the Spirit's power - and place those things at the center of your life. Ask the Lord to teach you to respond in faith to the issues of your life, choosing the way of the faithful consistently. And, you will find rock-like stability in a confusing, complex world!

 In our word from the Word, James reminds us of the importance of simple faith. Read it carefully and prayerfully.
"If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help.
You'll get his help, and won't be condescended to when you ask for it.
Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought.
People who "worry their prayers" are like wind-whipped waves.
Don't think you're going to get anything from the Master that way,
adrift at sea, keeping all your options open
." (James 1:5-8, The Message)

 There are still many complex questions around the 'what, when, where, why, and how' of life! But, knowing Who holds the answers to those questions in His eternal mind is my rock of assurance. Do you know Him? Is He really Lord? Then, trust Him!

______________________________________


Under His wings I am safely abiding,
Tho the night deepens, And tempest are wild;
Still I can trust Him I know He will keep me,
He has redeemed me, And I am His child.

Under His wings, Under His wings
Who from His love can sever?
Under His wings my soul shall abide,
Safely abide forever.

Under His wings, What a refuge in sorrow!
How the heart yearningly turns to His rest!
Often when earth has no balm for my healing,
There I find comfort and there I am blest.

Under His Wings
Ira Sankey
Public Domain

No comments: