Monday, April 04, 2011

Jesus as an accessory

Accessory: an object or device not essential in itself but adding to the beauty, convenience, or effectiveness of something else. (Merriam-Webster online dictionary)

After I bought my cell phone, I felt that I needed to spend even more money on a Case Logic slip case that clips efficiently on my belt, a charger that allows me to charge the battery while in my car, a Blue tooth earpiece which I never used and eventually gave away, and a wired microphone/earphone set which I do use often while driving. These accessories truly do add to the usefulness of my mobile but none of are absolutely essential to its function as a communication device.

 Today I pose a simple question that will require deep thought to answer:
Is Jesus Christ an accessory in your life?

The Word says "Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. And when Christ, who is your life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory." (Colossians 3:1-4, NLT) Christ is your life! That statement is not open to debate, but God allows us to believe it or reject it.

Many, I am convinced, think that Christ is their life because they are moral, or church going, or socially acceptable. But, if closely questioned, you would discover that Christ is an accessory, not the essential part of who they are. They pray not so much to commune with God, but rather to ‘get things.’ Jesus is rather like a super rabbit’s foot charm. Keeping Him ‘round, it is hoped, will make life go better, ward off bad spirits, and eventually open Heaven’s doors. Meanwhile, the real center of real life is Self.  I’m not writing about somebody who is terrible, evil, or cruel.  

People for whom Christ is not ‘life’ may still be the nicest person on the block, quick to encourage, and often in church.  But, the core issue is ownership. Those who chose to own their Life cannot be owned by Him.  As a result, meaning and purpose comes not from Christ, but from some part of themselves. They may even love the idea of a “Christ” who saves, the theology of a God who loves.

 If “Christ is our life” He defines everything about us. Our value as a person comes from receiving the love of God through Christ Jesus. Our hope, in life and death, is anchored securely to the promises of Christ come Hell or high water!  We will raise our kids, not to pursue wealth or fame, but to love God ‘with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength.’ Our fulfillment is only in knowing that we loved Him, not simply in word, but with our entire being.  If we are in Christ who we are becomes inseparable from Who He is!

 Here’s how Jesus taught about being our life. Ponder this word from the Word today with a prayer that the Holy Spirit will reveal the majesty of the Christ life to you and through you.
"Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me. “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. (see Galatians 5:22-23) For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned." (John 15:3-6, NLT)
_______________

My Life Is In You

My life is in You, Lord,
My strength is in You, Lord,
My hope is in You, Lord,
In You, it's in You.
My life is in You, Lord,
My strength is in You, Lord,
My hope is in You, Lord,
In You, it's in You.

I will praise You
With all of my life,
I will praise You
With all of my strength.
With all of my life,
With all of my strength.
All of my hope is in You.

It's in You,
It's in You,
In You.

 Gardner, Daniel
© 1986 Integrity's Hosanna! Music (c/o Integrity Music, Inc.)

CCLI License No. 810055

2 comments:

David Atkins said...

Thanks for the challenging word Jerry.
I do not comment often enough, but want you to know that I am consistently blessed through the depth of thoughts expressed in your blog. Thanks for writing.

Jason said...

Thanks Jerry. Today in church they happened to say "Jesus as an accessory". I pondered on this, then googled it... and came across this blog. You have elaborated on this phrase perfectly - thank you. Now to act on the challenge and keep the motivation.