Thursday, April 07, 2011

An Adventure of Faith!

Some recent choices in my own life have put me way out on a limb, far from my own comfort zone. I believe that the Lord is leading me in those decisions but as is often the case, it’s not all smooth sailing on calm seas! I am trekking through faith’s wild territory and I am not enjoying it all that much today. There are parts of me that would like the safe, predictable, ‘easy to sleep at night’ life I left behind!  

When we accept the invitation of Christ Jesus when He says, “come, follow me,” inevitably He leads us into situations that demand faith. Owning His promises happens only when we are willing to let go of our own security. I admit that it is much easier to preach about living by faith than it is to actually do it!

I find the hero named Joshua a source of encouragement. When he responded to God’s call after the death of Moses, he was given the privilege of leading the Israelites into the Promised Land. Doesn’t that sound glamorous? Well, it was something wonderful! It was also something fearful that Joshua could not do in his strength. Immediately after giving Josh his commission, the LORD said “Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people to possess all the land I swore to their ancestors I would give them. Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do." (Joshua 1:6-7, NLT)  "This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9, NLT)

God does not repeat Himself without reason! He knew that once the people crossed the Jordan River and the battle for conquest was started, it would demand more from Joshua than he thought possible, so the phrase “be strong and courageous” needed to be embedded in his mind and heart.

If you want to live in God’s Promised Land, you too will need to ‘be strong and courageous.’ Taking on habits of Self and sin is not an endeavor for the faint of heart. It is hard to live in love, to extend forgiveness, to give away yourself in service. A noble character develops only at great cost to our ego. Letting go of the tried and true is fearful and a hundred voices will tell you you’re a fool. Radical Christianity that sets aside the need for self-expression in favor of holy obedience to Christ in all things sounds glamorous, but in reality is a battle with Satan, Self, and World Systems that seek to sabotage God’s will. Here’s the greatest thing that only those who are willing to walk out genuine faith enjoy: “the Lord your God is with you wherever you go!”

Here’s a word from the Word. Let it inspire you to move on into your own adventure of faith.  When things get tough, and they will, remember this. "Our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:17-19, NKJV)

_________

 Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God.
Filled with His Spirit, washed in His blood.

This is my story, this is my song;
Praising my Savior, all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song;
Praising my Savior, all the day long.

No comments: