Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Monarch in name only?

As I continue my faith walk of which I wrote yesterday, the issue of letting God rule my life becomes the issue. There is the temptation to treat God much as England treats her royals, as a figure-head only. The actual power in the English government rests in Parliament and leadership belongs to the Prime Minister. The Queen shares the pomp given to kings of earlier eras, but unlike those monarchs she has no authority to unilaterally set the course of the nation. Spiritually, I claim that the Lord as King of my life. The question is whether my actions back up my rhetoric. Do I bow before Him in courteous display of fealty only to rise and do my own will?

Among the blessings of a 4 decade long walk with the Lord is that I have enough perspective to see how God has worked quietly and persistently; yes, sovereignly, to accomplish His will and bless me. Many years ago I had to leave a ministry position I loved due to strife caused in part by my own immaturity! The ministry to which I went was small, a struggling work. At that moment it appeared that God had put me on a side track, that He was finished with me. Some even bluntly told me that my failing had brought the judgment of the Lord on me. Hindsight reveals that God was using an apparent demotion for greater good. In that year of broken earthly dreams I learned much in the school of faith. The Lord used a place of lesser responsibility to do deep heart work in me, to bring new life to my marriage, and to make me a better father. 23 years after the event, I can see what He was doing clearly. At the time, I could only trust Him, and oh what a struggle it was in those dark moments. There were many days when my only prayer was borrowed from Jesus’ model: “let Your kingdom come, let Your will be done.”

The Word promises "The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me.” That promise prompts this prayer; “Your love, O Lord, endures forever— do not abandon the works of your hands." (Psalm 138:8, NIV) In our Bible study last night, this theme emerged – “Even when man fails, God’s will prevails.” It’s true! That is not a simple truth. To own it as a principle to live by demands the gift of faith and an active response of obedience. Amazingly, He does not abandon us when we fail. Instead He sovereignly takes those failures, when we confess them and place them in His hands, and weaves them into His declared purpose. What assurance, what wondrous peace comes from resting on His promise to fulfill His purposes in me.

Will you give up your demand to understand the ‘why’ of every situation, to kneel before your King and give Him the worship He deserves?
Will you trust Him enough to surrender your own will and embrace His?

Disciple, I am not writing about taking up a call to some faraway place or about beginning a new church, or establishing a great ministry. God’s sovereign will for you and me begins with things that are much more basic, things like; forgiveness for those who hurt us, love for our enemies, generosity over selfishness, service over being served. When He is Lord of those things, He can lead us into greater works!

Here’s a word from the Word. May we receive it with faith so that we might live in joy.

"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news,
who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation,
who say to Zion, “Your God reigns!”

Listen! Your watchmen lift up their voices; together they shout for joy.
When the Lord returns to Zion, they will see it with their own eyes.
Burst into songs of joy together, you ruins of Jerusalem,
for the Lord has comforted his people, he has redeemed Jerusalem.


The Lord will lay bare his holy arm in the sight of all the nations,
and all the ends of the earth will see the salvation of our God."
(Isaiah 52:7-10, NIV)

No comments: