Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Faith and Fear

Throughout the last few days, I have wrestled with a decision that is one of the most significant choices I have ever made. The road I choose will affect my financial situation, my family life, my pastoral calling, and my personal time. One choice allows me to live ‘safely,’ the other takes me into the unknown. One is about living in a way I understand and love; the other calls me out of my comfort zone. I imagine that I feel a little like a bungee jumper who steps over the edge who wonders, during the free fall, if the cord will hold when he hits the end of it. If I take this step, I will be free falling into the arms of God! Will He catch me?

Everyone who follows Jesus Christ faces the choice of faith; not once, but each day.
Our very Gospel pivots on faith – will we trust the promise of God’s grace or continue in our own religious works?
Our security rests on faith – will we attempt to create wealth and relationships that make us feel secure or will we live with our hope resting on the Rock, secured by His Word?

True faith is never static. The faith that led us yesterday must be renewed with a faith that is sufficient for this day. God gives faith for each new day, but allows us to choose to accept it with obedience. "The righteousness of God (is) revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." (Romans 1:17, KJV)

I am realizing something new about faith. Real faith does not exempt one from feeling real fear! Those who engage in extreme sports where they risk their lives, do so with full faith in their skills and equipment, yet they also feel terror. Curiously they love facing fear and the exhilaration that comes from overcoming it. When they reach the summit, they may be near collapse with exhaustion, but they also feel triumph.

In the book of Daniel, there is a story that we too often relegate to Sunday School, that really is an inspiration for walking by faith. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were Jews who had been taken captive when the Babylonians conquered Jerusalem. They were transported hundreds of miles from their home into an alien culture. There they faced the challenge of hanging onto their faith in Yahweh or being assimilated into the religion and culture of Assyria. The safe choice was to ‘go along to get along.’ The faith choice was to trust the Lord. They chose the Lord and He gave them want they needed. One day the megalomaniac king decided that he would set up a giant image of himself and require all of his administrators to give worshipful homage to it or face a fiery death. These men could not bow to an idol and keep their faith intact. Did they feel fear? Judge for yourself as you read their response to the king’s demand. “O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty. But even if he doesn’t, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up.” (Daniel 3:16-18, NLT) Do not miss that phrase – ‘even if He doesn’t!’ They fully recognized that their choice could bring them death and they were willing to make the faith choice anyway!

Are you facing a choice of faith today?

Don’t mistake fear with faithlessness. Even as you accept the gift of faith, you will abandon the known, the secure, the comfortable. And, when you commit yourself to the faith way, He will meet you there. When the summit is reached, you may be exhausted, but you will be able to say: "I’ve run hard right to the finish, believed all the way. All that’s left now is the shouting—God’s applause! Depend on it, he’s an honest judge. He’ll do right not only by me, but by everyone eager for his coming." (2 Timothy 4:7-8, The Message)

_______________

Jesus led me all the way,
Led me step by step each day;
I will tell the saints and angels,
As I lay my burdens down,
"Jesus led me all the way."

And hither to my Lord hath led,
Today He guides each step I tread;
And soon in heav'n it will be said,
"Jesus led me all the way."

Jesus Led Me All The Way

Peterson, John W.
© 1954. Renewed 1982 John W. Peterson Music Company
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: