Friday, March 18, 2011

Do Hard Things!

While looking over a landscape yesterday, I joked - “If this were my yard, I’d bring in a bulldozer.” What others might see as beauty, I view only as a ton of work in the sun, while perspiring, and having bugs buzzing around my eyes! I really dislike yard work. My aversion to perspiration has nothing to do with inability; it is not because I cannot; I simply will not. I simply refuse to do the hard thing. But, when my wife’s urging overcomes my reluctance, I enjoy a well-maintained landscape as much as anyone, and somehow when the job is done, I am glad I was pushed to do it!


A disciplined life has many rewards.
· A person who knows how to budget and control spending finds himself with more discretionary funds! Instead of always paying off his credit cards (and the awful interest that goes with poor stewardship practices) he is able to make more choices including more generosity.
· A person who regularly prays enjoys the benefit of current conversation with God. The Lord is a true Friend.
· A person who makes participation at his local church a priority even when the sun shines on the golf course builds great community that pays rich dividends when life goes suddenly into reverse (and it will, sooner or later).

Jesus urges us to take on challenges that are hard. He says:  "Forgive those who do you wrong! Love your enemies! Practice your generosity without telling anybody. Live for Heaven, not just for your next meal. Deal with your own sin before you try to deal with that of others. Follow me!" The Bible says- "Keep a tight rein on your words. Don't use filthy speech. Trust God when it's dark. Endure hardship. Give thanks always." Are these hard things? Yes, they are.

Here’s what we must remember. Living the Christian life, while demanding discipline, is not just about gritting our teeth and doing what we hate to do.  It is about presenting ourselves to Christ and receiving the Holy Spirit. As He lives in us, He causes us to love godly things and, if only we’ll taste them, causes us to see the pleasure that is found in doing the will of God. The issue is making the faith choice. Will you do hard things believing God for the reward? Or, we you make an excuse why you can't, and never discover what He’s planned for you to know?

Most of us have some 'will nots' in our lives. There are things we do not do because they are difficult or unpleasant. We could do them and even know, in many cases, we should be doing them, but we will not. God does not spare our feelings with regard to refusal to do hard things. He says that "Anyone who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins." (James 4:17, NIV)

The Coach of Heaven (the Holy Spirit who lives in us) stands ready to help us succeed. Jesus said that the Spirit will speak to us, teaching us, leading us, comforting and calling us. Let's encourage one another, too. "For as long as it’s still God’s Today, keep each other on your toes so sin doesn’t slow down your reflexes." (Hebrews 3:13, The Message)

Here’s a word from the Word that will urge you on when you find yourself wanting to refuse God's invitation to do the hard things. "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." (1 Corinthians 9:24-25, NIV)

By the way, I won’t be getting that bulldozer. Pass me the hedge clippers, please!

No comments: