Monday, March 21, 2011

Can you see Him in me?

Harry was in his late 70’s when I first met him. Despite 30 years difference in our ages, I eagerly anticipated times that we spent together. Harry represented Jesus wherever he went because he belonged to Him and loved Him more than life itself. He carried a little notebook which he would pull out from time to time and say, “let me tell you what the Lord and I have been discussing.” Then, he would share some insight he had gleaned from reading Scripture or meditation. Lest you think he was preachy or religious, let me quickly tell you that Harry was neither. Mostly, he was loving, encouraging to kids and octogenarians, men and women, sinners and saints. He was equally at home among the firefighters with whom he served and at a table of preachers. I cannot remember a visit with Harry that wasn’t challenging, or inspiring, or comforting! He was an ambassador for his King.

The Bible says, "We are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!”" (2 Corinthians 5:20, NLT) An ambassador gives up the right to speak his own mind when he accepts the privilege of representing his Sovereign. If he becomes too independent, if he confuses his own policies with those of the nation he represents, he will be recalled from service. Harry was a great ambassador of Christ! Are you?

When others spend time with you is it obvious that you have spent time with Jesus? Peter and John were hauled before the ruling council of Jerusalem and after a lengthy interrogation the council reaching this conclusion: “these men had been with Jesus.” (Acts 4:13) His love, wisdom, strength, and character had become theirs.

Just being sanctimonious or religious is not at all what we’re aiming for. I have had to spend time with people trying too hard to be like Jesus without actually having spent much time in His Presence. It came off as forced, phony; a weird and ugly parody of the Christian life. The words were right, but the tone was wrong. You can’t fake love; well, not for long anyway. I want to be an authentic disciple of Jesus who has been with Him in prayer at the beginning of each day so that He will be with me. It is important to humble myself before, to listen for His voice so that Self remains submitted to the Spirit. How quickly life becomes about our plans, our reputation, our feelings unless we are before His throne regularly and often. When I fail to take time to pray, the likeness of Christ is eclipsed by the ego of Jerry.

Ask a trusted, mature Christian: can you see Jesus in me?

Here’s a word from the Word that reveals the key to being a person like Harry, a real ambassador of Christ.
“I am the Real Vine and my Father is the Farmer. He cuts off every branch of me that doesn’t bear grapes. And every branch that is grape-bearing he prunes back so it will bear even more. You are already pruned back by the message I have spoken.

“Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you. In the same way that a branch can’t bear grapes by itself but only by being joined to the vine, you can’t bear fruit unless you are joined with me.

“I am the Vine, you are the branches. When you’re joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant. Separated, you can’t produce a thing." (John 15:1-6, The Message)
_______________

Let the beauty of Jesus
Be seen in me;
All His wonderful passion
And purity.
O, Thou Spirit divine,
All my nature refine,
‘Til the beauty of Jesus
Be seen in me.

© 1943. Renewed 1970 Word Music, LLC
Albert Orsborn
Bentley DeForest Ackley
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: