Friday, September 11, 2009

Days to Remember

“A day that will live in infamy” was how President Franklin D. Roosevelt spoke of 12/7/1941, better known as Pearl Harbor Day. It was a defining day for people in my grandparents’ generation. It ushered America into the terrible war that raged around the world for the next 4 years.

My parents’ generation can tell you where they were when they heard that America’s young President, JFK, had been assassinated in Dallas on 11/22/1963. His untimely death was the beginning of social upheaval and great change in America that stretched through the remaining part of that decade.

My generation remembers 9/11/2001! Eight years later I still remember the fear that gripped me when I heard the news of jets crashing into buildings in NYC and DC. 19 terrorists brought hate to us, killed more than 3000 and galvanized our nation to war, which has proven terribly costly in both lives and resources. What I like to remember about that time was the national unity that we enjoyed for a few weeks; tragically then lost to ever greater partisan politics from that day to this.

Personally, we have days to remember, too. Good days- weddings, birth of our children, promotions; bad days- deaths, divorces, job loss. My prayer is that as we remember, we will use our memories to lay a foundation for the future. From our memories come lessons in faith, lessons about choices, course corrections for our lives.

Christianity’s core practice is an act of remembering. Jesus, as He passed the Cup and the Bread to his disciples, told them “Do this in remembrance of me!” Sharing the Lord’s Supper brings us back to the Cross where his sacrifice changed our destiny, opened up God’s Presence to us, and made possible our restoration to our Father. We must never forget the wonderful gift of our salvation. How easily we fall into the ruts of ritual, taking the bread and the wine, without really remembering.

Paul soberly reminds us that "anyone who eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord unworthily is guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. … if you eat the bread or drink the cup without honoring the body of Christ, you are eating and drinking God’s judgment upon yourself." (1 Corinthians 11:27, 29, NLT) If we worship without reverence, that which should bless, becomes a curse! We need to approach his table preparing ourselves in true worship and inviting the Spirit to help us to remember as we should.

Do you remember?
"When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.”

After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you. For I tell you I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you." (Luke 22:14-20, NIV)

The blessed body of Jesus, broken for me! The precious life of Jesus offered for me! What grace, let us never forget. As much as we love the new and the novel, we cannot, we must not ever forget the ancient, yet ever new, story of Who brought us life.
____________________


When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ, My God;
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See, from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down;
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Since I, who was undone and lost,
Have pardon through His name and word;
Forbid it, then, that I should boast,
Save in the cross of Christ my Lord.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a tribute far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my life, my soul, my all.

When I Survey The Wondrous Cross
Watts, Isaac / Miller, Edward
© Public Domain

No comments: