Monday, September 14, 2009

Are you secure? Are you sure?

Have you traveled by air recently? While I know that screening travelers is a good thing, some of the process is downright silly! On a recent trip to Florida my Mom; who is 73, about 5’ tall, and weighs about 100 lbs., accompanied Bev and me. She had a hip replaced three years ago and it tripped the detectors. She was pulled from the line and subjected to a complete search. One man following me in the line, laughed out loud and remarked, "Oh, she looks like a terrorist for sure!" But, the TSA screeners are not allowed discretion so as to minimize the risk of error. Thus, the silliness of subjecting my Mom to a pat-down! And yet, for all the appearances of security, I accept that a truly determined terrorist could still create death and destruction if he wanted to.

I am sometimes amused and sometimes annoyed by the things that government and institutions do to create an appearance of security. We want assurances that we are safe from terrorists, from crime, from risk of injury, from germs. While I appreciate the importance of minimizing risk, I also know that as long as I am part of this world, there is no way to completely erase the possibility of being harmed by the unforeseen. Accidents happen!

But there is one security that is not at risk- my eternal salvation! With Paul I say, "I know Whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day." (2 Timothy 1:12, NIV) In another passage, he asserts, "I’m absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God’s love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us." (Romans 8:38-39, The Message)
In Christ alone is my security. I do not trust my own goodness, nor do I put faith in my heritage. I have no confidence in my ability to impress God with my holiness. I put my hope in His promise, assured by the Cross that my sins are forgiven and by the Resurrection that I will live in my Father’s house.

Are you fearful, disciple? Do the threats of life trouble you, robbing you of peace?
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith!... He sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:2, NIV) "Sat down" indicates that the work is finished, the objective of securing our salvation is complete!

Here’s a word from the Word to take with you today.
"Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God." (Psalm 20:7, NIV)
_____________

In the name of Jesus
Our salvation lies;
He will hear from heaven
To answer ev'ry cry.

By the blood of Jesus,
Sins are washed away;
We sing for joy
To God, our strength,
His banner we wave.

Some may trust in horses,
Some may trust in chariots,
But we will trust
In the name of the Lord.

Some May Trust In Chariots
DeShazo, Lynn
© 1992 Integrity's Hosanna! Music (c/o Integrity Music, Inc.)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: