Friday, September 18, 2009

Saint Jerry?

I really want to be a saint! St. Jerry has such a cool sound to it. Don’t you agree? Forget the Rev. thing. Just make me a saint. You think I’m joking? I’m totally serious. Actually sainthood is not so farfetched. In fact, as a disciple of Jesus Christ, that status is available to me.

Sainthood is not about comparison with other people. Using that measure, we can all find those much worse, think mass murderers, etc.; alongside of which we all come off as really nice people! But measure my alongside of that of Mother Theresa and my star dims considerably.

Sainthood is not about earning kudos from others, either. I think I could find at least 4 people who would write a letter on my behalf. (I have 4 kids who love me!) But then, I suppose, there would those who I have offended along the way who would be compelled to write and set the record straight!

Sainthood is not about compiling a record of good works or holy deeds. OK, now you’re stumped right? Didn’t you think this saint thing was exactly that? Well, it is, kind of. Saints do those kind of things, but it is because they are saints, not what makes them saints. Ministering to people in need creates a real positive buzz. Saints ought to do things like volunteer to serve in the local fire department, go visit those who confined in sick beds, offer to coach Little League, give of their resources to church and charity, join the Peace Corp, be kind to children, adopt a dog from the local animal shelter… are you exhausted yet? But, if you could earn a 'saint' certificate the question becomes, when do you reach the point of getting the award?

The Scripture speaks frequently about being a ‘saint.’ Here’s the deal, disciple. God declares you and me to be saints, not because we’re good enough, but because Christ Jesus imputes (gives us status we cannot earn) his perfect righteousness to us. In common terms, we are saints because of Who we know, not because of what we do! Yes, I really am St. Jerry, though the practical evidence of that status is still being worked out in my life. The Bible says we are, "beloved of God, called to be saints." (Romans 1:7, NKJV) Repeatedly in his letters to the churches scattered across the Roman Empire, Paul addresses ‘the saints.’ Take a look. "The Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will." (Romans 8:27, NIV) He opens his letters often with this phrase: "to the saints… the faithful in Christ Jesus." (Ephesians 1:1, NIV)

So, we ask, did that first century Church have a lot of very holy, especially wonderful, extraordinarily spiritually gifted people? Yes, and no. They were Christians just like you and me- some days very good and some days, not so holy at all – but always saints. Here’s what we must never forget: a saint is a person who is called to be one of God's own people, whose sins are forgiven in Christ Jesus, and in whom the Spirit of God is presently at work! All those who are ‘in Christ’ are saints. Sainthood is "Not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship..."

Summing up I’d say, we aren't saints because we're better than someone else, or because some church nominates us for a special fraternity, or because we have checked off a certain number of boxes in the good works ledger! We are saints because He called us to be saints. Peter reminds us of the work of the Holy Trinity that is doing a transformational work in us. "I am writing to God's chosen people [saints] . . . God the Father chose you long ago, and the Spirit has made you holy. As a result, you have obeyed Jesus Christ and are cleansed by his blood." (1 Peter 1:1-2 NLT)

So, dear saint... yes, YOU... give thanks today for that high and holy calling. Focus on the faithfulness of the One who called you into His holy family. Then, make it your intent to conform your life to your true identity as one of God's own saints. "I beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling, for you have been called by God. Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love. Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace." (Ephesians 4:1-3, NLT)

St. Jerry - I really like that!
_________________________


How firm a foundation,
Ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith
In His excellent word!
What more can He say
Than to you He hath said,
To you who for refuge
To Jesus have fled?

Fear not; I am with thee.
O be not dismayed,
For I am thy God,
I will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee,
And cause thee to stand,
Upheld by My gracious,
Omnipotent hand.

How Firm A Foundation
Keith, George / Steele, Anne / Rippon John / Funk, Joseph© Public Domain


By the way, saints belong in church on the Lord's Day. If you’re in the Washington, NJ area – join us this Sunday at 10:15 AM!If you out of the area, you can join us via the web at our webcast link found at http://www.WashingtonAG.com

No comments: