Thursday, September 10, 2009

It’s under control!

Since Sam (our Irish Setter) arrived, we have become fans of Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer, whose show is on the National Geographic Channel. His insight into dog behavior is amazing. His signature line, “I rehabilitate dogs and train people,” causes me to smile. A common issue for those of us who own dogs is excessive barking in the house. Our canine friends are territorial and believe that they must announce themselves and defend their home with loud, persistent barking. In response to the barking many people yell, “Stop!” only increasing the noise and the barking! Cesar’s solution? Stay quiet and calm. Let your dog know that you have the situation under control, that they don’t have to “defend” because you’re in charge. Don’t project anxiety. Instead, bring calm assertive control that allows your dog to relax. (Worked with Sam!)

Some of us approach life’s challenges like a barking dog! As we sense what looks like a real threat coming our way our levels of anxiety rise and we start to ‘bark.’ We complain. We threaten. We bluff, bluster, and growl. All of our noise only tends to increase the tension, drive away those who might really be of assistance, and deafen us to the voices of reason. Here’s the Truth. Jesus Christ has it all under control!

In our Weds. Bible Study last night, we spent time in the 1st chapter of the Revelation, where John was given a vision of the magnificence of Christ, the King! I was much encouraged by these words. Take a look.

"On the Lord’s Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet.... I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone “like a son of man,” dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters.
In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance. When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead.
Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades."
(Revelation 1:9-20, NIV)

Each of those descriptive phrases are important! John wasn’t wasting adjectives.
Jesus was not a monster, but a man.
His long robe signals his nobility!
His golden sash speaks of his priestly office.
His white hair is a mark of wisdom, his fiery eyes speak to his piercing insight!
His feet like bronze assure us that he can tread on his enemies and that voice is one of command authority!
His words go right to the source of life, "sharp as a surgeon’s scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey." (Hebrews 4:12, The Message)

But it is the final line that is best for with it He says, “It’s ALL under control!” Here’s what it says again: "Don’t be afraid! I am the First and the Last. I am the living one. I died, but look—I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave." (Revelation 1:17-18, NLT) The greatest threat, the ultimate ‘enemy’ is death and Jesus says, “I’m greater even than death, holding complete authority to grant eternal life!”

When Sam starts to bark at the front door, I follow Cesar’s advice. I call her to me, have her sit, and touch her, while speaking calmly. Her focus is switched from the ‘threat’ outside to me, the guy in charge! How about letting Jesus take control of your life? When you feel threatened, turn your attention to the One who is “First and Last!” Take time out to re-focus, to trust His wisdom, to acknowledge that even when you are clueless – He knows it all.

Here’s a word from the Word. Receive it, believe it, live it!

“I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord." (Psalm 40:1-3, NIV)

No comments: