Monday, July 13, 2009

The Gaffe

The sermon was on the subject of loving completely. I had made the first point about our inability to love well unless we have experienced God’s love. I moved into my next idea about those things that keep us from loving others. Then, it happened. I spoke three words and saw the eyes of a woman in front of me widen as she thought of an entirely different image than I was reaching for! Then I heard the snickers of several others. The second meaning of what I had just said hit me. My face grew hot with embarrassment! Yes, it was a gaffe and a half. No, I won’t repeat here. Last night as Bev and I remembered the moment, we dissolved into laughter. 35 minutes of preaching and what will most people remember? Three words!

On the serious side, my faux pas yesterday made me think about how easily our lives can become defined by a single decision, a mistake, a choice made in haste or for ignoble reasons. My little mistake only ruined a single sermon. The mistakes of some ruin their lives. While watching “Frost vs. Nixon” last night, the same thought returned. Richard M. Nixon’s entire political career comes down to a single word for most people, “Watergate.” A stupid decision to cover up a crime of little significance destroyed him and His Presidency. But, the seeds of that destruction were planted by a wider flaw, an insecurity that ran deep and unacknowledged in the man. If Nixon had learned to overcome his sense of inferiority and defeated his paranoia, only God knows what his political acumen might have produced for America.

Are you living wisely, disciple? Are you giving the Spirit access to your heart and mind so that He can bring about health and wholeness in your thoughts and plans? The pitfalls, temptations, and possibilities of mistakes are many. We need to pray- "Oh! Teach us to live well! Teach us to live wisely and well!" (Psalm 90:12, The Message)

Should we somehow fall or fail, and we will; the Scripture is replete with illustrations of the redemption God offers to those who turn to Him. David, the poet–king of Israel, fell long and hard into deep sin. When the ugly facts were exposed, he turned to God in humble prayer. "Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. … Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." (Psalm 51:1-2, 10-12, NIV)

John reminds us that the road to restoration requires confession, owning our sins without excuse. "If we admit our sins—make a clean breast of them—he won’t let us down; he’ll be true to himself. He’ll forgive our sins and purge us of all wrongdoing. If we claim that we’ve never sinned, we out-and-out contradict God—make a liar out of him. A claim like that only shows off our ignorance of God. I write this, dear children, to guide you out of sin. But if anyone does sin, we have a Priest-Friend in the presence of the Father: Jesus Christ, righteous Jesus." (1 John 1:9-2:1, The Message)

I’ll have to live with the jokes about my gaffe in the pulpit for a few weeks! I will probably be a little apprehensive about speaking next Sunday and certainly more vigilant in my choice of words. Disciple, be vigilant about those choices that really matter. Walk near to the Lord. Respond quickly to the Spirit’s gentle prompts.
“Our Father in heaven, Reveal who you are. Set the world right; Do what’s best— as above, so below. Keep us alive with three square meals. Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil. You’re in charge! You can do anything you want! You’re ablaze in beauty! Yes. Yes. Yes." (Matthew 6:9-13, The Message)
____________

O God, our Help in ages past,
Our Hope for years to come,
Our Shelter from the stormy blast,
And our eternal Home!

Under the shadow of Thy throne
Still may we dwell secure;
Sufficient is Thine arm alone,
And our defense is sure.

O God, our Help in ages past,
Our Hope for years to come,
Be Thou my Guide while life shall last,
And our eternal Home.

O God Our Help In Ages Past

Watts, Isaac / Croft, William© Public Domain

No comments: