Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Wholly, Holy Confidence!

Last week, when the news was full of another politician’s infidelity, Bev said, "Promise me that you will never have an affair!" My response surprised her, "I can't make you that promise." I explained that IF I think that I am too good, too smart, or too dedicated to her to sin in that way, I am a lying to myself and living with a flimsy defense against sin. The Word warns, "Don’t be so naive and self-confident. You’re not exempt. You could fall flat on your face as easily as anyone else. Forget about self-confidence; it’s useless. Cultivate God-confidence." (1 Corinthians 10:12, The Message) If my hope for holy living is misplaced in my own self-discipline, I am a prime candidate for failure. However, IF I acknowledge the sinful nature that struggles within us all, and consequently open up my life to the Spirit of God and His gracious work, He strengthens me. I finished my response to my wife saying, "I can't make that promise. But, by God's grace, I will love you faithfully and always."

When I hear a disciple huffing and puffing about another's sin: "How could he do that? What kind of person is he? Why, I'd never do such a thing!" - I cringe inwardly. That self-righteousness, which is no righteousness at all, is a tragedy in progress. There is no one quite so blind as the one who think he is above sin! Jeremiah evaluates human nature with a piercing statement: "The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is exceedingly corrupt: who can know it?" (17:9) Only the Holy Spirit discerns the secrets hidden in you and me! IF we will walk humbly and constantly with Him, His power will keep us! David, whose heart was divided - sometimes passionately in love with his God and sometimes filled with sin - cries out with a prayer we all should pray: "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life." (Psalm 139:23-24, NLT)

It seems so logical to respond to a rebel heart with stronger rules or self-condemnation, but these will always fail. Why? Because there is a flaw in the inner man called 'sin' that sabotages even our best intentions. That is why Paul comes down hard on those Christians who look to self-discipline alone for holiness. "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence." (Colossians 3:22-23 NIV) The mystery of our Christianity is the Cross and the weakness of the Cross is our strength, our holiness, and our hope!

Is there a place in our lives for disciplined choices? Of course.
Is there a need to make wise decisions and to practice those habits that open our lives to the inflow of the Holy Spirit? Yes, and again, yes! We are fools if we abuse the grace of God by flirting with sin. A person who lives carelessly with open sin in his life has failed to grasp the full dimension of God's grace which will lead him to a changed life! Some, on hearing Paul's exposition of God's grace that responds to human sinfulness by expanding to encompass it, said, "So then shall we sin freely?" The Word's answer is this: "Of course not! Since we have died to sin, how can we continue to live in it?" (Romans 6:2, NLT)

Are you locked in mortal combat with some sinful habit? Does it seem to you that you are about to be destroyed by lust, greed, a lack of forgiveness, or hatred?

Now, here's the illogical statement. Take your eyes off of yourself and your sin. Stop obsessing over it!
"But, Jerry, if I do that, I just know I will be destroyed by it." No, you will not IF you gaze on Christ. The Word says, "If you’re serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it. Pursue the things over which Christ presides. Don’t shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that’s where the action is. See things from his perspective." (Colossians 3:1-2, The Message) See the Son standing there, holding out a new coat of holiness to you. It is a holiness that God alone can provide. Put it on! You are His child. The Enemy of your soul will argue mightily against this truth. He will seek to turn your attention to what you were and what you fear you may become again. He will tell you that God cannot love you UNTIL you have mastered all sin. He lies!

God loves you today because of His Son. In the full acceptance of that love is found the freedom to choose, to say "yes" to holiness today. Becoming a disciple with a life that is disciplined in the ways of the Spirit is important, but it is not first. Transformation by the power of the Cross is FIRST, then comes the patterning of discipleship.

Now, do you understand why I, in myself, could not promise faithfulness to my wife?
Yet, she is secure in our covenant because of Christ, IN ME, that gives me strength to love her with a faithful and true heart.
You are secure in Him. Let Him love you to wholeness and holiness today.
________________

Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

I am weak but Thou art strong;
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I'll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.

When my feeble life is o'er,
Time for me will be no more;
Guide me gently, safely o'er,
To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore.

Just a Closer Walk With Thee© Public Domain

No comments: