Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"Give me good guts, please, Lord!"

I'm very sorry about AIDS orphans in Africa, starvation produced by poverty in Zimbabwe, and tyranny in North Korea, but, what can I do about these things?

I just want to turn off the news! Yes, I am experiencing some compassion fatigue! When any person is repeatedly exposed to suffering people, there is a built-in defense mechanism that kicks in. Compassion fatigue can cause a person's heart to become hard as a stone! We see an awful lot of human need and suffering, don't we? The news media brings story after story of sorrow to us - ranging from a local murder to a bombing in Baghdad where dozens die because of religious hatred. We see starving children in Africa, faces twisted with hatred in Pakistan, drug addicts in San Francisco - all up close! The natural response? Develop a hard heart and throw the problem back onto those in pain or need: "That's their problem, not mine!"
"What do you expect me to do about it?" "They made their bed, guess they'll have to sleep in it." "Fools!"

We're all subject to compassion fatigue! When busy days pile one on top of another; when deadlines line up; when there are demands to meet the expectations of others - we might find ourselves saying, "Oh no, not another person with a problem." If that's where you are emotionally, won't you join me in prayer asking the Father for a heart that beats with His love, a tender heart? The Lord promises those who are hardened by sin: "I will give them singleness of heart and put a new spirit within them. I will take away their stony, stubborn heart and give them a tender, responsive heart!" (Ezekiel 11:19, NLT) My prayer this morning is for a tender heart! In several passages of the New Testament, disciples are urged to be 'tender-hearted' towards others. In Ephesians 4:32 we are urged to "Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you." Peter says, "All of you should be of one mind, full of sympathy toward each other, loving one another with tender hearts and humble minds." (1 Peter 3:8)

In this gentleness towards those in need, we are like our Heavenly Father "for he is full of tenderness and mercy!" (James 5:11) I thought you might like a little insight on 'tender hearted' or 'pitiful' - the word in the King James Version. Literally, it means 'good bowels!' Gross, right? Not really. Those who lived in ancient times believed that the emotions were centered in the abdominal cavity; the heart, the liver, and the intestines! They experienced fear, joy, love ... and felt those things physically - pounding heart, nausea, etc.! Thus, they concluded that their gut was the center of emotion. So they used the figure of speech, "eusplagchnos," (NT Greek) which is literally, 'good bowels!'

Let the lesson will take hold of you and pray for restoration of 'good guts!' Will you allow God to restore your emotions?Will you allow yourself to feel the sorrow of those who mourn, sharethe joy the of those who rejoice? Have great guts -- a tender heart!

________________

Touch through me, Holy Spirit,
Touch through me.
Let my hands reach out to others
Touch through me.
There's a lonely soul somewhere
Needing just one friend to care.
Touch through me, Holy Spirit,
Touch through me.

Love through me, Holy Spirit,
Love through me.
I will be my brother's keeper,
Love through me.
Hearts are bleeding deep inside,
Love can dry the weeping eyes,
Love through me, Holy Spirit,
Love through me.

My hands will be Your hands
Reaching out to others.
My lips will not be slothful,
Lord, to speak.
I will be that good Samaritan
To someone else in need.
I will be Your house to dwell in
Live through me.

Touch Through Me
Rambo, Dottie© 1981 John T. Benson Publishing Company (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc., 741 Coolsprings Blvd., Franklin TN 37067)CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: