Thursday, March 26, 2009

YOU... make me ... so ....

If someone says to me, "You make me so mad!" I am not inclined to ask why. Instead I feel threatened. Blame creates a barrier. However, if someone honestly says, "I am so angry!" I am more ready to try to help find an answer. We have all experienced that not so great moment when somebody sticks his index finger in our face and blames us for his misery, problems, or pain. "YOU...." they accuse.

That approach, whether it is our kid, our spouse, or our boss, creates instant defensiveness in us, doesn’t it? Our instinct for self-defense kicks in immediately.

Those of you who are as old as I am will remember the comedy sketch of Flip Wilson when he played 'Geraldine.' She would say some outrageous statement or spend too much money only to toss off the line that got a laugh every time- "The Devil made me do it." Why is that funny? Because we know it’s an excuse, mis-placed blame.

When we sin, many of us are quick to blame the Devil, our boss, our spouse, our parents rather than taking responsibility for our choices. Here’s the truth: as long as we are pointing to another to as the 'cause' of our pain or problems, we will be incapable of real constructive change. And, we will isolate ourselves from the people who could work with us to make the situation better.

King David romanced another man’s wife, got her pregnant, then arranged for the man to be killed so he could take Bathsheba as his own. He thought he had cleverly covered his tracks and hidden his sin, until Nathan the prophet exposed him. Oh, that we would respond like he did. Take a look. "Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love. Because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins. Wash me clean from my guilt. Purify me from my sin. For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night. Against you, and you alone, have I sinned; I have done what is evil in your sight. You will be proved right in what you say, and your judgment against me is just. For I was born a sinner— yes, from the moment my mother conceived me. ...
The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God."
(Psalm 51:1-5, 17, NLT)

He owned his sin! "I have sinned, I have done evil!" And God, just as He promised, forgave him.

Disciple, if we want to know real holiness, real fellowship with God, we need to ‘man up’ to our failures without excuses or blaming others. Take this great passage with you today and live in the promise.

"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives. My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world."
(1 John 1:7-2:2, NIV)
_______________

In the presence of a holy God,
There's new meaning now to grace;
You took all my sins upon Yourself,
I can only stand amazed.

In the presence of Your infinite might,
I'm so small and frail and weak;
When I see Your pow'r and wisdom, Lord,
I have no words left to speak.

In the presence of Your glory,
All my crowns lie in the dust;
You are righteous in Your judgments, Lord,
You are faithful, true, and just.

And I cry holy, holy, holy God,
How awesome is Your name,
Holy, holy, holy God,
How majestic is Your reign;
And I am changed
In the presence of a holy God.

In The Presence
Altrogge, Mark
Integrity Music, Inc. / Integrity Music, Inc.
© 1989 Integrity's Praise! Music (c/o Integrity Music, Inc.) / PDI Praise (Admin. by Integrity's Praise! Music)
CCLI License No. 810055

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great devotional today. How often I forget the nuts and bolts of the forgiveness we have.
Thank you.