Monday, March 23, 2009

Jesus laughed, too!

There is an artist’s depiction of Jesus Christ that shows His head tipped back in laughter. It is such a contrast to the usual renditions of a somber Man. It makes me ask, did He really laugh? I believe He did! He was invited to eat with prostitutes and ‘sinners’ (those rejected by the good guys) and was accused by His critics of being a lush! Somehow, I don’t think a humorless man would find much friendship among that crowd. Then, too, He told jokes. We don’t get most of them, but His original audiences did! He poked fun at the Pharisees hypocrisy, used absurd illustrations “camel through the eye of a needle,” and made people laugh. And, then there is this: His first sign miracle was turning 30 gallons of water into fine wine for a wedding!

For some reason, joy is one of the least valued characteristics of the Spirit-filled life. However, in the catalog of the evidences of the life of the Spirit in us, joy is number two on the list, right after love. (Gal. 5:22) It is a different kind of joy than the laugh track humor found on TV sit-coms. It isn’t the kind of happiness that finds us on those days when people are nice, the sun is shining, and our endorphins are surging. Joy, of which the Bible speaks, is found in a right relationship with God and others. It is not a passing emotion. It is a state of being. That is why the Scripture can direct us to "be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice!" (Philippians 4:4, NLT) Again, let me emphasize that this is not a command to ‘look on the bright side!’ That would be a good choice, but this is something else. To experience the joy of the Lord, we must leave our sin with Him, take our life from Him, and refuse to let sin or selfishness reign over us.

I experienced the ‘joy of the Lord’ many times over the last year as I had the privilege of ministering to my Dad while he was living with cancer. In those long nights at his bedside, my body sometimes ached for sleep and my heart broke for his suffering, but as we listened to the same hymns again and again, or as I committed Dad and myself to the Lord in silent prayer, there was a curious peace and a sense of wholeness which allowed me to experience joy despite my tears. It was a joy that came from God. Yesterday, during worship, the joy of the Lord washed over me as the congregation sang, “Friend of sinners, Lord of Truth, I am falling in love with You… Jesus, I love Your Name, the Name by which we’re saved.” (Matt Redman, copyright 1994) I was full of joy knowing that the One who knows me best, loves me most.

If you’re not experiencing JOY, I want to encourage you to take a look at your heart.

Are you hanging onto some sin that keeps you from experiencing the refreshing flow of the Spirit’s fellowship? Are you holding tightly to a grudge against another, stroking your ego by rehearsing real and/or imagined slights?
Are you looking around and comparing your life with that of another, instead of looking up and giving thanks for His promise to be all that you need?

A disciple who is filled with the Spirit today will experience joy!

"Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights."
(Habakkuk 3:17-19, NLT)
________________

Joyful, joyful, we adore Thee,
God of glory Lord of love;
Hearts unfold like flow'rs before Thee,
Opening to the sun above.
Melt the clouds of sin and sadness;
Drive the dark of doubt away;
Giver of immortal gladness,
Fill us with the light of day!

All Thy works with joy surround Thee,
Earth and heaven reflect Thy rays;
Stars and angels sing around Thee,
Center of unbroken praise.
Field and forest, vale and mountain,
Flowery meadow, flashing sea,
Chanting bird and flowing fountain,
Call us to rejoice in Thee.

Mortals join the mighty chorus,
Which the Morning Stars began.
Father love is reigning o'er us,
Brother love binds man to man.
Ever singing, march we onward,
Victors in the midst of strife;
Joyful music lifts us sunward,
In the triumph song of life.

© Public Domain

No comments: