Friday, March 27, 2009

More of Thee, less of Me!

When I feel on top of my game, how easily I get in God’s way! The line between confidence and arrogance is a fine one, isn’t it? It is impossible to fulfill God’s purposes for our lives if we are curled up in a protective ball, hiding out from the challenges of daily living. The person who is in the grip of fear retreats behind walls of self-protection, reads situations wrongly, and is always reactionary. Those who are confident wade into life, dealing with the hard things, and letting the hits and criticism go because they have a greater mission than just being ‘safe.’ They are drawn on by a passionate desire to make a difference where they live! (Yes, I am!) But, with a few wins under our belts, we risk becoming deceived, thinking that our education, or our intelligence, or …. whatever – has made us indispensable to the local work of the Kingdom of God. Think again.

John, the Baptist, was given a high and holy calling – the forerunner of the Christ! God sent him to preach repentance, to prepare the hearts of the people to hear the Good News that the Kingdom of Heaven was now among them, that the long awaiting Anointed One had come to them. A lesser man might have fallen in love with the crowds, the attention; with being the center of attention. John did not! Look at how he explains the trajectory of his mission and let his words instruct you about humility.
“No one can receive anything unless God gives it from heaven. You yourselves know how plainly I told you, ‘I am not the Messiah. I am only here to prepare the way for him.’ It is the bridegroom who marries the bride, and the best man is simply glad to stand with him and hear his vows. Therefore, I am filled with joy at his success. He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less." (John 3:27-30, NLT)

By external measures, John failed. He started big and ended up, from a human point of view miscalculating his influence. By preaching against his immorality, John offended King Herod and lost his head, literally. He died alone and wondering about his life’s work, believe it or not. However, in God’s estimation, he succeeded wonderfully, doing exactly what he was called to do – prepare the way of the Lord. Of him Jesus said, "Let me lay it out for you as plainly as I can: No one in history surpasses John the Baptizer." (Luke 7:28, The Message)

The familiar line about God looking for faithfulness, not success, is really true. With each of us, one thing must be true – there must be more of Thee, less of me. Over time, no matter how competent we may become, we can only complete God’s work if we are prepared to fade into the background allowing Him to shine through us, work in us, and demonstrate that "our competence comes from God." (2 Corinthians 3:5, NIV)

If we fail to hand off the vision, to raise up others to take our place, we miss the high mark. If we believe that no one can fill our shoes, we are deceived. The greatest disciple is the one who is able to empower and teach others to take up the calling.

Who is mentoring you? That’s not the only question. Who are you mentoring? To whom are you calling disciples – to yourself or to the Lord of Glory? Sobering questions, aren’t they?

Lord, I pray for more of Thee and less of me. Amen.

______________________________

Be Thou my vision,
O Lord of my heart;
All else be naught to me,
Save that Thou art.
Be my best thought
Both by day and by night,
Waking or sleeping,
Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my wisdom,
And be my true word,
I ever with Thee
And Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Savior,
Thine own may I be,
Thou in me dwelling,
And I one with Thee.

High King of heaven,
And heaven's bright Sun,
Grant me its joys
When my journey is done;
Heart of my heart, Lord,
Whatever befall,
Still be my vision,
O Ruler of all.

Be Thou My Vision
Landis, Keith / Byrne, Mary / Hull, Eleanor / Young, Carlton © 1964, 1994 Selah Publishing Company, Inc. / Abingdon Press
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: