Monday, January 05, 2009

A Rich Man!

Occasionally I allow myself to dream about what I would do if I were a rich man. My thoughts usually run along the lines of philanthropy: I could help that person, pay for some project, fund a scholarship, etc. Sunday evening, at a prayer meeting with a couple of dozen people, I was reminded that I am a rich man with many opportunities to do good! In quiet prayer, the Holy Spirit led me through a time of reflection in which He reminded me of the wealth God has placed under my management:
a rich heritage of faith,
an experience of His grace,
healing of soul, mind, and body,
gifts of the Spirit that equip me for my vocation,
a wide network of friends,
the privilege of service in His Church.
Then, He placed this challenge in my heart; “Jerry, what are you going to do with your wealth?”

We can easily miss the resources that are available to us by looking at the resources that another possesses! God only asks us to use what we have, where we have it, in the opportunities presented to us!

In the gospel of Matthew, Jesus gave His disciples an ‘impossible’ task of feeding a huge crowd! Evening was approaching and the disciples took the common sense route of suggesting that Jesus send the people home. Instead, He said, “That isn’t necessary-you feed them.” I would have loved these guys! They added up their resources and told him; “Impossible!” . . . We have only five loaves of bread and two fish!” But they were about to learn about what God can do with what’s available!

“Bring them here,” he said. Then he told the people to sit down on the grass. And he took the five loaves and two fish, looked up toward heaven, and asked God’s blessing on the food. Breaking the loaves into pieces, he gave some of the bread and fish to each disciple, and the disciples gave them to the people. They all ate as much as they wanted, and they picked up twelve baskets of leftovers. About five thousand men had eaten from those five loaves, in addition to all the women and children!"(Matthew 14:16-21, NLT)

Bring what you have to Jesus Christ today, disciple. It might seem to you to be nearly worthless, too little to be of much value to Him, like a small lunch of five pieces of flat bread and two dried fish when you need dinner for a few thousand! What God can do with your gift only He knows. All He asks is that you faithfully present yourself to Him. The results are up to Him.

Remember, wealth in God’s eyes is counted much differently than wealth as we commonly consider it!_____________________

Does the place you're called to labor
Seem so small and little known?
It is great if God is in it,
And He'll not forget His own.

Little is much when God is in it.
Labor not for wealth or fame.
There's a crown and you can win it,
If you go in Jesus' name.

When the conflict here is ended
And our race on earth is run,
He will say, if we are faithful,
"Welcome home, my child, well done."

Kittie Suffield
Public Domain

No comments: