Friday, January 09, 2009

The Good and the ‘Good-er!’

In some choices I make as a disciple of Christ there really is no choice. There is no need to sit around pondering, “should I steal that beautiful car?” It’s no-brainer that I won’t be getting drunk this weekend! If Bev and I have a disagreement, I won’t be using profane and/or filthy language. When the Lord’s Day rolls around, I will be among Believers in church. I will write my tithe check with joy. In these choices, and so many more, the Scripture tells me the will of God for my life. My only choice? Obedience!

Then, there are those choices between the good and the ‘good-er’ that are difficult. If we are a serious disciple, if it is our goal to please God and make His Presence known in our world, if we desire to be a ‘good and faithful servant’ in His kingdom; we will seek to conform our lives to His will in all things. Here’s a dramatic illustration of my point. In Philippians, Paul was describing a time of real trial in his life. He talked about not really knowing how to pray – for deliverance from his troubles or for death! He faced two goods! "Life versus even more life! I can’t lose. As long as I’m alive in this body, there is good work for me to do. If I had to choose right now, I hardly know which I’d choose. Hard choice! The desire to break camp here and be with Christ is powerful. Some days I can think of nothing better . But most days, because of what you are going through, I am sure that it’s better for me to stick it out here." (Philippians 1:21-24, The Message)

About ten years ago, I was serving a great church as their Pastor. I loved the people, the town, the opportunities that God gave me to minister. But, a part of me was restless, feeling that it was time to be open to moving to a new ministry in another church. No one was dangling any positions in front of me at the time, so I knew I was not being tempted by more money or the prestige of a larger church. I spent months praying and meditating asking the Lord to help me to know whether it was time to go or time to stay.
Then, in the Summer of 2000, events unfolded that made it clear to me that He was sending me to a new ministry. Could I have stayed where I was? Yes, and it would have been good! However, in the will of God, there was something better that I had to receive by faith. By many measures it would have been better to stay where I was than to move to a new set of challenges! But it was my desire not simply to live acceptably before God, but to be right in the center of His will for my life at that time.

Disciple, the choice between good and ‘good-er’ requires more than adding up the pluses and minuses! We cannot always choose the easier way, the more lucrative way, or the way that will make us most comfortable. We are His, awaiting His dispatch, so we must listen carefully, eliminating sin from our lives that would hinder us. “Here I am, Lord. Send me. Use me. Let me choose to live wisely and for your Glory today,” should be our daily prayer.

"So, my son, throw yourself into this work for Christ. … When the going gets rough, take it on the chin with the rest of us, the way Jesus did. A soldier on duty doesn’t get caught up in making deals at the marketplace. He concentrates on carrying out orders. An athlete who refuses to play by the rules will never get anywhere. It’s the diligent farmer who gets the produce.
Think it over. God will make it all plain.
" (2 Timothy 2:1-7, The Message)
__________

Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah,
Pilgrim through this barren land;
I am weak, but Thou art mighty,
Hold me with Thy pow'rful hand.
Bread of heaven, Bread of heaven,
Feed me till I want no more;
Feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain,
Whence the healing stream doth flow;
Let the fire and cloudy pillar
Lead me all my journey through.
Strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer,
Be Thou still my strength and shield;
Be Thou still my strength and shield.

When I tread the verge of Jordan,
Bid my anxious fears subside;
Bear me thro' the swelling current,
Land me safe on Canaan's side.
Songs and praises, songs and praises,
I will ever give to Thee;
I will ever give to Thee.


Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah
Williams, William / Fosdick, Harry E. / Hughes, John / William, Peter© Public Domain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Jerry,
Your life has been and is quite a testimony. I praise God for you, for your faithfullness and obedience to the Holy Spirt! I (and Bill) are so pleased that the Lord has lead us back to WAG. I have searched and prayed for years to be lead to a "real and authentic" Holy Spirit filled church. Give God the Glory!
-Kathy D.