Monday, January 12, 2009

Living With Abba

What must it be like to be fatherless? I cannot imagine for from the dawn of my memories, there are father images in my mind. "My Dad..." is a phrase that comes so naturally to me. My earliest recollections are of a big man who took me with him in his car, showing me adventures galore in his work world. When I was about five he seemed like a god, unafraid and powerful. Over time, Dad became more human to me, a real man. Throughout my adult life, I often called him sometimes to ask, "Hi, Dad, what do you think I should do about this?" and other times to seek his affirmation! I am tremendously thankful for the heritage I have from my Dad- setting an example for me about the importance of loving God, the privilege of serving others, and the necessity of living with discipline.

I have a second Father to Whom I was introduced by my Dad! I cannot imagine living without His love, either. My Heavenly Father is a constant Presence, the Source to Whom I turn for daily needs, a Friend for all times, and the One who gives me identity and purpose. He is God and time has only enhanced my love for and reverence of Him. While I enjoy an exclusive relationship with my Dad, the family of God is open. The Scripture says the core reason Jesus Christ came was to bring us home to our Father. "To all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God- children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God." (John 1:12-13, NIV) Later John wrote "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" (1 John 3:1, NIV) Take a few moments to think that over!

Don't live as an orphan. Take your inheritance! "...you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God's Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, "Abba, Father." For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God's children. And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God's glory." (Romans 8:15-17, NLT) That passage reminds us that the relationship that we are privileged to know is full of love, that God is not just Father to us. He is also "Abba" which is an Aramaic expression of familiarity. He is our Papa, our Daddy!

Are you facing a tough week? Don't go it alone. Reach out to your Daddy!
Not sure what to do? Ask your Daddy to give you His wisdom!
Celebrating a success? Share it with your Daddy!

A loving earthly father enjoys his children. (I know that well, for my Dad loves when I spend time with him and I love those all too few days in the year when my own children come home.) The Father loves us to worship and adore Him. I urge you not to let the pressures of the day, the many responsibilities of your life, draw you away from time with your Dad!

Take this passage with you today. Meditate on it and live in the great Truth declared by it. "Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has become a child of God. And everyone who loves the Father loves his children, too.We know we love God's children if we love God and obey his commandments. Loving God means keeping his commandments, and his commandments are not burdensome.For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith." (1 John 5:1-4, NLT)
____________

Children of the heavenly Father,
Safely in His bosom gather;
Nestling bird nor star in heaven
Such a refuge e'er was given.

God His own doth tend and nourish,
In His holy courts they flourish;
From all evil things He spares them,
In His mighty arms He bears them.

Neither life nor death shall ever,
From the Lord His children sever;
Unto them His grace He showeth,
And their sorrows all He knoweth.

Though He giveth or He taketh,
God His children ne'er forsaketh;
His the loving purpose solely
To preserve them pure and holy.

Children Of The Heavenly Father
Sandell-Berg, Caroline / Olson, Ernest W. / Ahnfelt, Oscar© Public Domain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good devotional today. Thank you for reminding me of something I forget too much.