Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Merely Smart or Truly Wise?

Gaining Wisdom

After a meeting on Monday evening, Don and I were talking about a man whose opinions have been trumpeted across America for 20 years on talk radio. This man is often correct in his insight, but he is so obnoxious and confrontational, he ends up talking only to people who already agree with him. Even allowing for the fact that radio is ‘show business’ his presentation is arrogant. In those two decades, this man has been through some rough times personally and still he maintains the bluff and bluster. I think he is smart, but not wise. Because of his attitude, frequently the issue to which he speaks is obscured by his personality.

When I look back two decades in my own life, I see so many moments when I was ‘correct’ but not wise. I knew the Bible’s truth but I lacked the wisdom to know how to gently bring it to bear in my world. One example is how, when my now adult kids were in public schools, I was too ready to spar with teachers or administrators that failed, in my opinion, to give proper respect to our Christian convictions. I was often so right, I was wrong! I consider it tragic that I often allowed my Self to get in the way of the love and truth of Jesus Christ.

Believer, we need wisdom so that we will know how to ‘correctly handle the Word of Truth.’ The Bible urges us to humility and further says "Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom He gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts." (Colossians 3:16, NLT)

The wisdom of Daniel is an inspiration. He was incredibly smart! He survived being carried off by an invading empire and went on to serve four kings in Babylon as a counselor. And, he was wise! He knew the Source of his strength, his insight, and his influence.

Meditate on Daniel’s thankful prayer today. He offered it up after God allowed him to show the king what to do by interpreting a dream. Pray with me for a heart of humility like that of Daniel and for the wisdom that will allow us to bring God’s message to our world in a way that will lead them to Jesus!

“Praise be to the name of God forever and ever; wisdom and power are his. He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him.
I thank and praise you, O God of my fathers: You have given me wisdom and power, you have made known to me what we asked of you, you have made known to us the dream of the king.”
(Daniel 2:20-23, NIV)
________________

No comments: