Thursday, January 01, 2009

Beyond Your Wildest Imagination

Since I was taking care of Dad on the night shift, I was up early on this first day of 2009. About 5 AM, I started to channel-surf through the cable news networks to see what was being reported for this new year. None were predicting good! That’s no surprise. Renewed conflict in the Middle East threatens to heat up the simmering pot of troubles for the Western world to a boiling point. The stock market that lost $7trillion (I don’t even understand that number, do you?) in value may have reached bottom but the financial analysts continue to warn of rising unemployment and a deepening recession. The President-elect, they warned, faces an up-hill battle to implement his economic program given the rising resistance of Congress to further spending. And on it went… one gloomy story after another.

Then, I picked up the Bible!

Here’s what the Lord says:
This is what the Lord says, he who made the earth, the Lord who formed it and established it—the Lord is his name: ‘Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.’" (Jeremiah 33:2-3, NIV) The Message says it like this: "Call to me and I will answer you. I’ll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own."

In 2009, God will do things that are beyond our wildest imagination! Do you believe that? I sure do.

The LORD is not necessarily telling us that He will do exactly what we want Him to do. He will do what is best for us… often in ways that we couldn’t or wouldn’t expect. We are often tempted to use God to further our agenda.
“God give me the money I think I need for that new project.”
“God, make my husband love me in a way that makes me a happier person.”
“Lord, make sure my job remains secure this year.”
“Heal me… comfort me… give me more…” are common lines in our prayers. We should be asking God for what we desire. He invites us to do that with confidence. James teaches us, “Tell God what you need.” Faith, however, accepts that God knows our need better than we do and what He allows us to experience is always for the best. His gifts are ‘good and perfect’ gifts.

Permit me to be very personal. One year ago on January 1, 2008, I had no idea I would walk with my Dad in the valley of the shadow of death for an entire year! For months and months, I have traveled to his home where I spend a couple of nights each week sitting at his bedside. Yes, in keeping with my desire, I prayed for his healing. The Lord did not do anything I asked or expected of Him in this situation! Instead, He gave me the opportunity to rediscover a relationship with my Dad that I have not known Him for two decades! And… this journey has also made me love the Lord more humbly and hopefully, with deeper faith. Is cancer and confinement Dad’s choice or mine? No! It was one of those things so far outside of my plans, it was beyond my wildest imagination. Most of us read that passage I quoted and we naturally think of “wondrous things” as fun, happy, and comfortable developments. The LORD’s wondrous things are for our ultimate good and for the good of His kingdom.

Disciple, God does have a plan for you and me! Our greatest joy is found in letting Him set the pace. He is a good God; not tame, not predictable, not bound to our limited perspective; but amazingly wonderful. So, "since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." (Galatians 5:25, NIV)

Here’s a New Year’s blessing. Receive it as you pray for the faith to let God be God!
"I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your hearts as you trust in him. May your roots go down deep into the soil of God’s marvelous love. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love really is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never fully understand it. Then you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God.

Now glory be to God! By his mighty power at work within us, he is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or hope. May he be given glory in the church and in Christ Jesus forever and ever through endless ages. Amen."
(Ephesians 3:17-21, NLT)

No comments: