Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Walk with the wise

In the course of my life I've made some really dumb mistakes! Up until I was around 30, I could pass them off to youth and/or ignorance. I do not have that luxury now. After a half century of living, it's a lot more difficult to say, "I did not know...." convincingly to myself or others. With the gray hair in my beard comes the expectation that I should have accumulated a measure of wisdom. Without intending to sound arrogant, let me say that the shortage of true wisdom in our world never ceases to amaze me. How can people make some of the choices they make is beyond my comprehension. Last week's flap over the proposed book and TV program by O.J. Simpson entitled, "If I Did It, Here's How It Happened," is one of those moments. In case you're out of touch, he had collaborated on a book that "hypothetically described" how he would have committed the murders of his wife and a friend who were killed in 1994 in a terrible and bloody way. Dumb, dumb, dumb! When the public reacted to this bit of idiocy, the publishers and producers cancelled the release. I'm sure you have a situation in mind that makes you question human intelligence, too.

Truthfully, often what appears to be obviously without merit to some, seems quite logical to another. That is why we need a reference point outside of ourselves, an external source of Wisdom, if we desire to live judiciously. The Bible holds out this promise: "Cry out for insight and understanding. Search for them as you would for lost money or hidden treasure. Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord, and you will gain knowledge of God. For the Lord grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He grants a treasure of good sense to the godly. He is their shield, protecting those who walk with integrity. He guards the paths of justice and protects those who are faithful to him. Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair, and you will know how to find the right course of action every time. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will fill you with joy. Wise planning will watch over you. Understanding will keep you safe. Wisdom will save you from evil people, from those whose speech is corrupt." (Proverbs 2:3-12, NLT)

Knowing my natural propensity to make short-sighted, ill advised, and/or self-serving decisions, one of my daily prayers is for the wisdom of the Spirit to guard and to guide me. I pray for the ability to understand how the Scripture's principles apply to my life and the internal discipline to say 'no' to those impulses that would bring short term satisfaction but long term regrets! I ask the Lord to help me to keep in mind that the choices I make today have consequences I will live with for years. That is not all bad! The principle applies for good, too. We can harvest a rich crop of blessings if we sow wisdom consistently in our daily decisions. The Psalmist sings: "Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." (Psalm 1:1-3, NIV) What a promise! The wise person who loves God will enjoy continual refreshment and become a source of blessings to those around him. Now, that's what I really desire, how about you?

Want to enjoy the benefits of true wisdom? Fear God! Turn to Him and let Christ change you from the inside out. Seek advice from godly people. Gather friends from those who love God. Don't admire those who are flip, arrogant, and smug! Love the Word. The result will be insight that preserves you in a world full of folly.

Here is a word from the Word. Meditate on it today. "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones." (Proverbs 3:5-8, NIV)
________________________

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Nought be all else to me, Save that Thou art
Thou my best thought, By day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom And Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee And Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, And I with Thee one.

High King of heaven, My victory won,
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heaven's Sun!

Heart of my own heart, Whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

Be Thou My Vision - Hull, Eleanor / Byrne, Mary E.
Copyright: Public Domain

No comments: